Honored Contributor

I'm thinking of getting one of these but am wondering if they're just a camera or do they have an audible doorbell? I've never heard anyone mention a doorbell in any of the presentations, although I didn't pay close attention. If not, how do you know when someone if there? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

You have 2 dogs...................I'd say you should sleep well with that protection.

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor has the ring doorbell and it alerts them when someone is on the porch through an alert in the App on their computer. They can also talk to whoever is on the porch. Not sure how that works. I guess through the app.  I really want one. If you get one give us a review please @Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I've thought about getting one, too.  When I looked into it, if I'm remembering correctly, you can wire it to your existing doorbell.  If you don't do that you can purchase a Chime for your doorbell sound.  I also think it will tell you someone's there over the Echo if you want it to, but I'm not positive about that.

You can read all about it on Amazon's website.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

It notifies you through a sound either on your phone or in my case IPad. You can talk to the person at the door but if your internet connection isn't super fast it may be slow showing a picture. I like it but usually by the time I am able to grab my phone or iPad and connect the person is leaving. 

Respected Contributor

I have had a ring doorbell for several years, bought it from QVC and bought one for my daughter as well. I had it hardwired to my home  doorbell site and when I sold my home and moved to my apartment I set it up myself and use the battery operated mode. Yes the  doorbell does have a ringtone and I believe you have a choice of ringtones when you set it up. I love it 

Honored Contributor

Just getting an alert on your phone or tablet is not very practical if you're in another room or asleep.  My old doorbell is not working so I wouldn't wire anything into it.  I'm now using one of those doorbells that you plug into an outlet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Ring Doorbell

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I have and I love it.  It does have audio so you can talk to someone.  Even if you are travelling it works.  I have it on my iPhone and iPad and I have it set up for my Apple Watch as well so if I am in the backyard working in the garden, I will get notifications.

I bought mine.  It stored videos for the first year but after that there is a subscription if you want to store videos.  It is not expensive but I never opted for that because we are usually home especially lately.

I would buy again.  HTH.  S

Contributor

My husband and I were on vacation in Japan and had someone ringing our doorbell in the US. With our Ring Doorbell we were able to talk to them and find out what they wanted.  They thought we were in the house--which was great.  Turns out our sprinkler system had broken and we had water shooting all over.  We called our neighbor who was able to shut everything off.  Very thankful for the Ring Doorbell.

Trusted Contributor

Our kids got us hours, it is hardwired,  my doorbell rings and I get notifications on my phone.  I would never be without it now.