Honored Contributor

Re: Reupholstering Dining Chairs

@wilma    Maybe you could find a fabric with camel and a couple of other colors in a pattern.  Good luck.

@Wilma7500   How about camel?   It's not too light nor is it dark.

@KatCat1 

A definite possibility. My living room sofa is camel. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma  Personally, I'd do a print or pattern incorporating two or more of the colors in the room. A print would also help hide any stains or spills. Honestly, I have no patience at all for DIY but believe me, replacing fabric on just seats like this is quite easy. I actually have done it and I'd actually do it again, though I'd not attempt anything more complicated.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Red and cream stripes!?

Trusted Contributor

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.10.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.09.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.07.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.05.51 PM.png

Honored Contributor

I painted my fainting couch with chalk paint.  It was tufted on the back and seat and after years and years of sitting under a vent, the tufted areas got dusty.  They were a paint to get the dust off the seat.  Not so much the back, so I took the tufting off and painted it with Annie Sloan paint.  Very nice.

Honored Contributor

First, I love the colors in this room. Very pretty!

Second, I'm thinking that what you currently have is a bit too light. And I'm not much of a red person. Have you considered doing something in an elegant stripe, with cream and green shades to complement the green in the room? 

I'm not really up on what is popular, and stripes on upholstered seats may be 'out', but the style of your chairs just screams elegance to me. And if there isn't a lot of print in the room (which it seems might be the case from the picture) a nice stripe on the seats would give some pattern and texture to the room. But if doing a pattern on the chairs, I'd be inclined to use a solid only table cloth, or one that matched perfectly to the chairs. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma   I have recovered many chairs like the one you are showing, not only for myself, but for friends and family.  Go to YouTube and search for "covering chairs with new fabric".  It really is easy and you will save a lot of money.

Also, there is a site called Spoonflower.  They have thousands of choices.  You can search by color, categories, fabric type, etc.

Good luck!  I can't wait to see what you select.

Trusted Contributor

@wilma   I would go for the full on red. The swatch you have there on the chair looks great, imo, with the walls. Olives and creams are such statement colors in nature. So is red. And red is opposite green on the color wheel. To me, I don't think that you can mess up any shade of greens or reds. I love the combo.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Red is a year round color  And Olive green is not typically seen as a Christmas color.

I think the red adds a beautiful contrast.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While striking, dark red is not a neutral color. You would be stuck with always having to coordinate your dining things with it.

I know we all have our different thoughts. But I would stick to the cream because anything would go with that: your dishes, placemats, table runner, etc.

Also, you already have accent color of dark red in other areas. Is there really a necessity to tie it in with your dining area? The living area is over there, your kitchen in another spot, and your dining room is separate.

Cream color in an embossed fabric would spruce things up a bit.