Honored Contributor

Re: Reupholstering Dining Chairs

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@wilma  I like your chairs.Even though I love the red (I'm a Christmas fan), I would go with a darker neutral with olive tones. We did ours in a print, because we knew they would be heavily used by kids and grandkids. By the way, it is SO easy to do these yourselves. You can take the seats out and just upholster over this existing material. You just remove the tacks or staples and start over. We did it one afternoon while babysitting for our first grandson. Easy peasy.

@PA Mom-mom 

It sounds easy, but I'm not sure about doing it myself. I've done a lot of work around the house. I've removed wallpaper, repaired drywall, and painted. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

How about a print using as many of the colors you mentioned?

@Janey2 

@CelticCrafter 

I've thought about using a print. I'm not a floral person, but I saw an interesting geometric that I liked. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@wilma   How about camel?   It's not too light nor is it dark.

@Katcat1 

A definite possibility. My living room sofa is camel. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Last fall, I redid the seats on my daughter's dining room chairs.  I donated my DR furniture to her years ago. She moved since the. and decided the color didn't go with her new house and they needed new foam as well.

She chose a printed fabric with black, cream and taupe colors and the chairs look great.  I almost repossessed them.  The fabric colors are neutral and the pattern is small.

If you do go with red, I think a soft muted red, leaning towards rust would work well in your room and look great.  A bright rich red would be too strong a color.

@Carmie 

Your daughter's chairs sound nice. I agree that the brighter reds would be too much in my room. 

Respected Contributor

The red seems a bit too strong to me. Perhaps a more neutral stripe of varying tones and colors or a print with a hint of red in the pattern would serve you well over time. Use a floral centerpiece and/or candles to bring the red into the room. These are easily changed out if you want to refresh down the road.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

The red seems a bit too strong to me. Perhaps a more neutral stripe of varying tones and colors or a print with a hint of red in the pattern would serve you well over time. Use a floral centerpiece and/or candles to bring the red into the room. These are easily changed out if you want to refresh down the road.

@On It 

I am beginning to think the red is too strong too. I am definitely going to look at other colors & prints. I have dark red candles and cardinal bird artwork in the room. 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

How about a print using as many of the colors you mentioned?

Yes!  I would go with a print...there are so many gorgeous ones!  I also like a tone on tone type of print too.  I think they can be very elegant.

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  I'm not really a DIY person; but, trust me, this is so easy. If you pop the seats and inspect them, you will see how it's done. The corners can be neatly folded and tacked or stapled. I watched my mom do it years ago, and then I did it to her chairs about 14 years ago. She actually used tapestry. I just used upholstery fabric. I would NOT suggest stripes, because.. well you know. But a print would be forgiving, and I would think a solid would be ok too. With the print, we just had to make sure of the repeat pattern and figure how many chairs we had to cover. Just a little math.

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Those are identical to my dining room chairs!  Do you have the table with the leaf and the china cabinet, too?   Mine have a beige seat too, but I got a temporary cover for them, rather than reupholstered them, when they got stained.  

As for color, I'd go bold.  Dark red is fabulous all year long, and I think you need some bold color in that room.

@Peaches McPhee 

Yes, I have the table & cabinet. I also have the buffet server with fold out leaves. We ordered ours from Thomasville. 

Thomasville, that's it!  I also have the side-board, I think it's called.  (No buffet server with fold out leaves though.  Man Happy)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I personally have never tried this myself, my my friend has.  She painted a love seat and it is beautiful.

Chalk paint does a great job on upholestey fabric.  There are instructions out there on youtube.  Here is a before and after.  Something to consider.

2453BFB1-D3C3-461F-AC5E-6B72FEEDB240.jpeg23A02932-0A60-43E2-83A4-A96C4F73102D.jpeg