Honored Contributor

Re: Reupholstering Dining Chairs

@wilma 

What about navy?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I personally have never tried this myself, my my friend has.  She painted a love seat and it is beautiful.

Chalk paint does a great job on upholestey fabric.  There are instructions out there on youtube.  Here is a before and after.  Something to consider.

2453BFB1-D3C3-461F-AC5E-6B72FEEDB240.jpeg23A02932-0A60-43E2-83A4-A96C4F73102D.jpeg

We're all different, we have different tastes, and without meaning, at all, to disparage anyone's efforts, I'm not sure I see this as an improvement...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@wilma ...................Just a thought here.  Do you have any material or clothing or towels, etc in colors that you are considering?  If so, lay them on the chairs and see which ones are more appealing to you.

Good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Maybe a more muted shade of any color you choose??

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Carmie    I loved the pic you sent of painting fabric with chalk paint. I have painted outside furniture pillows with good luck, but I will have to research and see if it will work on a tapestry type material. We have a very dated looking chair similar to the one in the photo sitting in the basement for years. I cannot bear to get rid of it, but I might get brave enough to paint the wood on it, paint the material and finally find a place for it somewhere. Thanks for giving me an idea.

Honored Contributor

@nomar   One of my friends was given a love seat that was like brand new, but it was ugly.  She painted it a baby blue color with chalk paint.  It is beautiful now. It is a tapestry fabric.

She is crafty.  She told me she got info on the chalk paint website and watched a tutorial.

I expected the fabric to be stiff, or the paint to have peeled off, but it hasn't. She did say she put a wax or something over the paint after it was dry and she sprayed it with water before she applied the paint.  It has been around three years since she painted it and it still looks great and is wearing well.  Even her dog hasn't ruined it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I personally have never tried this myself, my my friend has.  She painted a love seat and it is beautiful.

Chalk paint does a great job on upholestey fabric.  There are instructions out there on youtube.  Here is a before and after.  Something to consider.

2453BFB1-D3C3-461F-AC5E-6B72FEEDB240.jpeg23A02932-0A60-43E2-83A4-A96C4F73102D.jpeg

@Carmie 

Very interesting. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of things to think about. I have looked at lots of solid & print fabrics since I originally posted. I'm thinking of selecting something in a neutral shade or tone on tone print because I will probably repaint someday and neutrals will go with any color I choose for paint. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think the red might be a bit dark together with your dark wood dining chairs.  Are you opposed to a pattern?  I could see incorporating all those colors in some sort of Scroll Print that could mimic those wrought iron panels on your wall. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

For practical reasons I think I'd go with a print (and I am not a print person.)  You can choose a non-print print, or something bolder.  Prints hide a multitude of sins on upholstered furniture, particularly on furniture where the main activity is eating.