Honored Contributor

Re: Reupholstering Dining Chairs

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

Since you are already happy with the adjoining rooms having a four color scheme, why not take some time looking at fabric?

The upholsterer should have samples and somewhere around should be a good fabric shop.  

Since the yardage should be small, you can get something really nice.  And these places can enable you 😄

I am still dreaming of $65 a yard raw silk for curtains.  Some fabrics are to die for.

@Still Raining

The red swatch came from an upholstery store nearby. I actually took home 2 different reds to see how they looked. He has remnants and fabrics that can be ordered. I am definitely going back to look at some cream & taupe colors. 

Honored Contributor

I would go with red or a print. It would add a little color but when the chairs are pushed in it wouldn't interfere with whatever decorating scheme you have going on, plus knowing my family, light colored fabric would be less forgiving! 

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Those are identical to my dining room chairs!  Do you have the table with the leaf and the china cabinet, too?   Mine have a beige seat too, but I got a temporary cover for them, rather than reupholstered them, when they got stained.  

As for color, I'd go bold.  Dark red is fabulous all year long, and I think you need some bold color in that room.

@Peaches McPhee 

Yes, I have the table & cabinet. I also have the buffet server with fold out leaves. We ordered ours from Thomasville. 

Honored Contributor

I think a print with all the colors you mentioned would be nice.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I would go with red or a print. It would add a little color but when the chairs are pushed in it wouldn't interfere with whatever decorating scheme you have going on, plus knowing my family, light colored fabric would be less forgiving! 

@GenXmuse 

Family spills & messes: Exactly why I was thinking of using a darker color. Since remodeling, we don't have a table in the adjacent kitchen. We eat in our dining room every day for every meal so the chairs are used all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@wilma   I personally think the dark red would be too dark and look like Christmas, as you said.  If you go with a more neutral like you have, they will match any color that you decide to paint the room in the future.

@NickNack 

I think I agree, especially regarding repainting walls in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@Neetgal2 wrote:

The reasons you mentioned, my opinion would be stay with color you have.  Dark red would be very nice for most holidays though!  A tough decision.

@Neetgal2 

I agree & think dark red would look great in the winter holidays. Just not sure about it all year. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma 

We use similar colors, I used this fabric in my dining room.

Chair

I have purchased lots of upholstery from ebay, never a problem.

BTW-  If you are handy with a stapler, you can easily recover those on your own.   I am not handy, and have done it, just cut, fold, and staple. Lots of videos on Utube. 

Have fun.

@wilma 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@wilma ,

That is very striking and pretty, those colors together!

I don't think the traditional easter pastel colors would go as well but maybe more light greenish olives and more golden yellows, blues, deep lavenders. You could just experiment.

They definitely would go well with fall and christmas colors.

Or maybe  if you decide not to cover the chairs with the red, you could get a table runner, or some other accessories in that red color. It really is nice with the olive.

@on the bay 

I own a dark solid red & a red & green plaid tablecloth, but I only use them for the winter holidays. I do have a cardinal print hanging on the wall that has red in it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma -

That sounds pretty! I was going to say too maybe a picture with that red in it. Anyway, I never would have thought of those 2 colors together but they really are nice, however you decide to do the chairsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"