Honored Contributor

Re: Retrieving tweezers from drain

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

I'd try a thin magnet - good luck. 

I thought that was a good idea too.  So that was the first thing I tried. I went out and bought a flexible tube with a magnet and light. But the enamel paint on the tweezers prevents the magnet from picking up the tweezers. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   What all is down there now?  Woman Surprised

So sorry for you!  I HATE stuff like this!!!!!!!  

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

I thought that was a good idea too.  So that was the first thing I tried. I went out and bought a flexible tube with a magnet and light. But the enamel paint on the tweezers prevents the magnet from picking up the tweezers. 

@drizzellla 

Oh ok, i didnt think they might be enameled. You know, a fish hook is pretty stick-to-anything, maybe drop that down on some string or something. Those fishing hooks snag everything just when we dont want them to! 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

If you end up with no solution... just call a plumber.  Best case scenario they will be able to pull it out...worse case scenario they can just repipe the sink with pipes not glued shut as they should be. 

OK, yes it will cost you, but, you know the sink pipes should not be glues shut like that and should be fixed anyway.  This will happen again sometime...... and with the pipes  fixed and not glued shut you can get whatever is stuck out yourself...

just  check it off as    Just a lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

For future reference, I've got a few mesh drain covers that I now use whenever doing anything potentially dicey... I've had too many things make their way down the sinks and had to fish them out too many times. This saves me the trouble... I got mine locally, but as one might assume, Amazon and others have them for about $3.50... They come in smaller and larger sizes, so one should fit a bathroom drain... Also available are rubber 'hair catchers'. that do the same thing..

4.5 inch Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Strainer

Peerless Mesh Drain Strainer, 2pc, Silver

Hair Catch Shower Drain Hair Trap Drain Hair Catcher, Bathroom Sink Bathtub Drain Strainers Silicone Hair Stopper Shower Drain Covers (5 Pack)

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

For future reference, I've got a few mesh drain covers that I now use whenever doing anything potentially dicey... I've had too many things make their way down the sinks and had to fish them out too many times. This saves me the trouble... I got mine locally, but as one might assume, Amazon and others have them for about $3.50... They come in smaller and larger sizes, so one should fit a bathroom drain... Also available are rubber 'hair catchers'. that do the same thing..

Hair Catch Shower Drain Hair Trap Drain Hair Catcher, Bathroom Sink Bathtub Drain Strainers Silicone Hair Stopper Shower Drain Covers (5 Pack)

@stevieb  Have used these with the stainless mesh in my kitchen sink for years and they are a great solution to a big problem.  It will collect anything I do not want down the pipe.  I need to find a small one to use in my bathroom sink.....

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@drizzellla   What all is down there now?  Woman Surprised

So sorry for you!  I HATE stuff like this!!!!!!!  

Right now there are just the tweezers and icky water.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Stevieb - well I had bought this to cover the drain BUT someone keeps moving it to the side. Bathtub Drain Protector 1896

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@drizzellla 

Oh ok, i didnt think they might be enameled. You know, a fish hook is pretty stick-to-anything, maybe drop that down on some string or something. Those fishing hooks snag everything just when we dont want them to! 

My next attempt will be "fishing". I don't think I have ever gone fishing without being caught on a hook. So I think with some patience, it should work.

Honored Contributor

The mesh covers are a good idea for a kitchen sink, but I don't think they'd work in a bathroom sink with a stopper.