Honored Contributor

Re: Retrieving tweezers from drain

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

I'd try a thin magnet - good luck. 

If you end up with no solution... just call a plumber.  Best case scenario they will be able to pull it out...worse case scenario they can just repipe the sink with pipes not glued shut as they should be. 

OK, yes it will cost you, but, you know the sink pipes should not be glues shut like that and should be fixed anyway.  This will happen again sometime...... and with the pipes  fixed and not glued shut you can get whatever is stuck out yourself...

just  check it off as    Just a lesson learned.

OH YES! Lesson learned.

I was thinking, if all else fails, yes the plumber is next. It is funny for many years we would have to call the plumber after Christmas after our house guests left. They always seemed to be able to put food down the kitchen drain without the garbage disposal, overflow the toilet or destroy the shower diverter. This year we will be calling the plumber before Christmas.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

The mesh covers are a good idea for a kitchen sink, but I don't think they'd work in a bathroom sink with a stopper.

@ValuSkr  My intention is to have the stopper removed by the plumber because my sink drains poorly and currently is awaiting the plumber to clean out a sluggish drain.  Have always had problems in this bathroom sink; a new sink and fixtures 15 years ago made no difference to the pipes. The stopper in sink does not sit up very high and everything unwanted seems to wrap around the shaft of the stopper.  It fits poorly and serves no purpose, trying to clear out debris is near impossible, so I will have the stopper removed and use a mesh drain cover in the bathroom.  For my sink, the water should drain better and all the gunk will get caught before going down drain!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

The mesh covers are a good idea for a kitchen sink, but I don't think they'd work in a bathroom sink with a stopper.

@ValuSkr  My intention is to have the stopper removed by the plumber because my sink drains poorly and currently is awaiting the plumber to clean out a sluggish drain.  Have always had problems in this bathroom sink; a new sink and fixtures 15 years ago made no difference to the pipes. The stopper in sink does not sit up very high and everything unwanted seems to wrap around the shaft of the stopper.  It fits poorly and serves no purpose, trying to clear out debris is near impossible, so I will have the stopper removed and use a mesh drain cover in the bathroom.  For my sink, the water should drain better and all the gunk will get caught before going down drain!

Instant Power Drain Snake Hair Clog Remover Tool

We have used something similar to this with success. 

or a pypthon drain cleaning tool. 

Respected Contributor

I was thinking aling the lines of @Havarti...since the closed end is up, you might be able to fashion a "hook" to get around the top and pull it out.

If the drain is dry, and the tweezers are movable, you could also try vacuuming it out. With any attachment removed, the hose would probably fit tightly, right over the drain.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove   I know what you mean, I have the same problem with the stopper sitting low and gunk seemingly attracted to the stem.  I've had pretty good luck cleaning it away with boiling water first, then baking soda / vinegar, then boiling water again.  I do it two or three times a year; sometimes, if really bad, it requires a couple tries.  I don't remove the stopper, so it can be tough to put the baking soda in the drain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Success!

Another trip to Harbor Freight. This time with my husband. (He came home a day early yesterday). So I had to tell him the ugly truth about what goes on in this house while he is gone.

SO - after a bit of looking around at Harbor Freight, my husband found picks. They look exactly like the picks at the Dentist office except a bit longer. 

We came home and in 30 seconds the tweezers were out of the drain.

I am so glad he is home.

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions and help.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla 

Excellent!!

⚓️
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ScarletDove   I know what you mean, I have the same problem with the stopper sitting low and gunk seemingly attracted to the stem.  I've had pretty good luck cleaning it away with boiling water first, then baking soda / vinegar, then boiling water again.  I do it two or three times a year; sometimes, if really bad, it requires a couple tries.  I don't remove the stopper, so it can be tough to put the baking soda in the drain.

@ValuSkr  Thanks for the great suggestion, I appeciate!   

Trusted Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

This has a grabber when u press the red part, it opens up and grabs on.  I think they sell them at hardware stores. 

RAM-PRO 36” Flexible Grabber Pickup Tool, Extra Long ...

That device is terrifying looking but I will check out HD for one.  I need that for the kitchen sink.  

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@deb5555 wrote:

This has a grabber when u press the red part, it opens up and grabs on.  I think they sell them at hardware stores. 

RAM-PRO 36” Flexible Grabber Pickup Tool, Extra Long ...

That device is terrifying looking but I will check out HD for one.  I need that for the kitchen sink.  

Good Luck! Tell us if you are successful.