Honored Contributor

Re: Restored English Rectory

I like it but it needs color and some wall art, I feel it lacks warmth and just some simple additions would perk the rooms up.  I do love the drapes on the windows for privacy.  

Esteemed Contributor

I love it and I don't usually care for such a neutral palette. This speaks to me for some reason, it's so well done. I could happily move in as is.  Well I may sneak some red in with a small vase of red roses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

I love it and I don't usually care for such a neutral palette. This speaks to me for some reason, it's so well done. I could happily move in as is.  Well I may sneak some red in with a small vase of red roses.

Oh, yes....I have to have flowers, too. With a few flowers it would be pretty. Like you, I'm not an all neutral person but there is something about this that tugs at my heartstrings.  Maybe the simplicity of it all and keeping alive some of what it once was. 

When my dad retired from a job he could no longer do, he became a caretaker for a monastary.  He also gave tours through it and they lived in an apartment inside of it. We had free roam.   I can't tell  you how much I loved that place. At first it was a little eerie as mom and dad were the only people living there at one time unless there was a retreat or something.  Dad would get all the rooms ready for that since he was janitor, caretaker, and tour guide.  He loved it and it was a real treat to me to be exposed to such a place and walk the halls.  It was a unique experience for my whole family. It was recently restored back to it's original self.  Here is a picture of it  some 85 to 90 yrs. ago

huntington-1928-front-2

Below is a picture of the the one with the pictures of the rooms  restored in my first post.

Tour the Stunning Cottage-Style Transformation of a Historic Rectory

Honored Contributor

Perfect! I love the windows!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like everything except all those pillows on the sofas.   There is a pillow on each chair.  It's pillow overload.  lol  The kitchen and dining room are my favorite.  It's a bad idea to have wood floors in the bathroom.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Maybe a little to white/beige for my tastes, but impeccably done & timeless! Nothing super trendy, which makes it more appealing. Of course I'd make some tweaks as we all would, but they really showcased the "bones" and didn't make it too garish.
Honored Contributor

What a fabulous situation with your Dad and the monastery, @jubilant .   They must have so enjoyed that, and like you, I would have loved getting to explore around such a place.  The exterior picture of it, and of the rectory you posted, are great!

Honored Contributor

This is pretty, clean, airy, and welcoming. 

I would just change a few decor choices they made...the floral or print drapes in the Living Room and the Wallpaper in the bedroom.

Both are just not my taste but that's a personal choice.

Honored Contributor

I'll take it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

What a fabulous situation with your Dad and the monastery, @jubilant .   They must have so enjoyed that, and like you, I would have loved getting to explore around such a place.  The exterior picture of it, and of the rectory you posted, are great!

@Oznell   If you are interested in the history here's a link:

http://huntingtoncountychamber.com/news/tippmann-foundation-restoring-st-felix-friary.html

Here it is restored on the outside.  They are still working on the interior:

St. Felix Catholic Center - St. Felix Catholic Center

Can you imagine 62,000 sq. ft.!!!  The grounds were so beautiful at one time.  My Dad was there during the Good Shepherds Church ownership. He was basically hired to do light maintance and give tours. 

And yes, there were "bats in the belfry" but he wasn't afraid of them (they were not the human kind!!! Ha! )  They were the real thing.