Honored Contributor

Re: Researching for stove and refrigerator. Your help and experience appreciated..

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Our house is going on 8 years old, so I am on the hunt for scratch, dent and clearance sales.  I have 3 appliances that are making very strange noises and a dryer that is taking forever to dry.  I am really annoyed about the dry because less than 2 years ago I paid several hundred dollars for a new heating element, tune up and thorough lint removal.  I should have just replaced it then and saved the money.

See my earlier post for tips

Lessons from an appliance executive:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Home/My-lesson-from-an-appliance-executive/m-p/1904222#U1904222

When my dryer wasn't drying well it was not the dryer but a lint problem. In florida they put the lint vent on the roof so it gets plugged up - the repair man simply put a sweeper hose down there and cleaned it out. Now we get that done regularly.

Respected Contributor

Re: Researching for stove and refrigerator. Your help and experience appreciated..

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Our house is going on 8 years old, so I am on the hunt for scratch, dent and clearance sales.  I have 3 appliances that are making very strange noises and a dryer that is taking forever to dry.  I am really annoyed about the dry because less than 2 years ago I paid several hundred dollars for a new heating element, tune up and thorough lint removal.  I should have just replaced it then and saved the money.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Home/My-lesson-from-an-appliance-executive/m-p/1904222#U1904222

@Abrowneyegirl  I read somewhere recently that when a dryer stops drying clothes properly it can be due to the ventilation hose being full of lint,  Try changing that and see if it improves.  It's an inexpensive fix.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

You are going to find a lot of different opinions here. I wouldn't buy a GE appliance if it was given to me free! Their quality changed years ago and honestly they are junk now. I have a Samsung 4 door fridge and a Kitchen-Aid gas range with electric oven. They are awesome!

TOTAL junk. A friend of mine had so many problems with them that she replaced them.

Valued Contributor

I have had a GE profile stove and refrigerator for 8 years.  The stove, electric, has been problem free.  I'm a little disappointed in the self-cleaning, but not a big problem.

The refrigerator has been a problem from day 1.  Our repairman says the GE fridges keep him in business.  I finally have learned to pound the vents in the freezer often and occasionally use a hair dryer on them.  Evidently the auto defrost is defective, especially in high humidity.  I have no idea if they have fixed this in newer models, but next one won't be a GE for me.

Honored Contributor

@athenian Mine is 6 years old - no problems as yet. Auto defriost works well. And I have the basic - builder grade GE appliances. My neighbor was complaining her ice maker wasn't working and my DH fixed it with one hose that was broken because she had shoved stuff up againt the hose and clamped it off.  Her freezer was jammed  full of stuff.

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  I read somewhere recently that when a dryer stops drying clothes properly it can be due to the ventilation hose being full of lint,  Try changing that and see if it improves.  It's an inexpensive fix.

Yes it is a common problem.

I should have made clear in my comment when I had the dryer cleaned of lint I also had the vents and ducts cleaned.

I have the vents and ducts cleaned on a VERY regular basis.  A co-worker had a house fire due to dryer lint and lost 2 of her children.  It still makes me sick to this day to think about it.

Honored Contributor

In our camper we have a whirlpool fridge and it has needed repair every summer for the 3 years we have had it. Very poor product - and yet Whirlpool is supposed to be such good stuff. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like the theme is if you have a working GE appliance from another generation hang onto it as long as you can.  I happen to have a GE builder grade range, 4 coil burners on top and a self cleaning oven.....30 years old and running Smiley Happy  It is a gorgeous bisque with a black control panel and a black oven door combo that I love.

When I decided to replace my fridge I also wanted to keep a bisque color.   But bisque is getting harder and harder to find in appliances, or at least the ones that are highly rated nowadays.   I finally found a Kenmore Elite in bisque.  Only 1.5 years old but I love it and it holds temperature/defrosts well.  By the way, LG makes this model of Kenmore.

I don't really like stainless steel anything.  It is hard to keep looking sharp and isn't an easy clean when you do go to clean it.   My bisque appliances rarely look dirty and when I go to clean them it is a snap.   I don't know what I will do if bisque becomes outdated and done.  I guess white would be the best alternative but I really prefer the warm creamy tones of bisque much more.

Trusted Contributor

We have a gas GE Spectra (large self cleaning oven) that we purchased in 2002.  It's a great stove -- no problems.  I was never a fan of GE prior to this purchase; liked Maytag.

Super Contributor

It seems like there are many unhappy GE customers. We have had good expereinces with GE. However, we have had bad experiences with Whirlpool and Jenn-Air. You just never know, and certainly nothing is made like it used to be! There is a lot of choice out there and many great resources for information.

Our handyman advised us, that it is better to buy American made appliances. Should something ever go wrong, American appliances are easier and less expensive to fix, with parts more readily available. I'm not sure if that's true, but it made sense to us.

Also, Whirlpool Corporation owns and manufatures, Amana, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Maytag.