Respected Contributor

Re: Researching for stove and refrigerator. Your help and experience appreciated..

My DIL had her kitchen remodeled and bought new GE Profile appliances, stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher.  The fridge was dented, replaced and the replacement only worked for a week, then replaced again.  So far, so good.  Dishwasher replaced after 2 weeks,  the replacement broke after only a few days.  They replaced it with a KitchenAid.  That one was fine.  Stove didn't work but a week or two.  Replaced and so far, so good.

She vows she will never look at another GE appliance again.  Ever.

I have a Samsung fridge, 6 yrs. old with no problems.  A 13 year old Whirlpool dishwasher, never any problems.  I went through a Samsung microwave in 2 years, replaced it with a low end Kenmore, no problems.  My stove is a Kenmore made by Fridgidaire I believe and it works fine.

Nothing is made like the old days.  I've heard the average life of a major appliance is 8 years and then you might as well figure on replacing it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Researching for stove and refrigerator. Your help and experience appreciated..

I just got rid of a GE fridge last year--the ice and water portion failed early on. I shut off the water, but when it started leaking anyway, time to replace it.

I replaced it with a similar format Samsung (side by side) even though I was considering a bottom freezer and I'm not so entranced with the narrow freezers in side by side. 

I'm happy with it--it has less room in the freezer door because that's where the ice bin is located but the lighting tower is LED and the freezer has glass shelves, not wire. The LCD panel lets you see the temp and choose ice, crushed ice or water. I am very happy with it. 

It ended up being one of the lower-priced models on sale at Lowes. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your time and information. I called the extended warranty. Repairman just left. This was the first repairman to listen to what I was saying. This was the first repairman to open stove and inspect everything. This was the first repairman to take the stove apart. He said he was determined to research and repair the stove!!! He kept the Whirlpool tech on the phone and they worked together. My stove had the igniter instead of the glow bar. The igniter had to be replaced and he cleaned everything off that it was attached to. He tested it 5 times in a row and instantly stove lit without problems. He made sure the stove started when I touched everything. Stove still under extended warranty. Did not have to pay for service call or part. He said if we ever needed repairs again to request his company when calling the warranty people.He worked for about an hour. We gave him a tip and two bottles of water. I am Blessed!!!

Honored Contributor

This week went to a local resale shop for appliances. It is a relief to know I have options when I need to replace my appliances. The stoves were $285 to $395 and had several to what I have now. The scratches or dents would not be visible once installed. I found a refrigerator that I liked for $285. They warranty the appliances for one year. They have repairmen and warranty the work for a year.

Respected Contributor

you should check small places that just sell brand new appliances.we get all our appliances like that. they go way more out of the way to please than big box stores. i asked sales man in sears about he washer. my question was i cant see how that little wash plate can clean like a full size agitor. his answer was i dont know. appliance store went into full detail to answer my question. good luck to you om your appliance hunt.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We replaced our whirlpool washer. dryer after 26 years with LG. so went ahead and decided to replace our Ge Stove and Refrig...still working however for 31 years, but decided to update anyway before they decided to stop working, with LG All of this within a coupe of months May and June of this year.   So far like them but only have had them such a short time.

Contributor

Go look at Samsung for frig selection & gas ovens. I currently have both & have had them not quite 2 yr. Frig is French Door about 26 cf. has 2 ice makers. We couldn't keep up w/volume of ice it made so we shut lower ice maker off in freezer compartment.  Oven has 5.8 cf of space plus convection.  If you need to cool food quick, you can pop it in freezer a few minutes for fast cool down. 

Moving soon out of state. New spec home & was able to upgrade oven. Of course, I went back to Samsung from GE. Upgraded to Bosch dishwasher which is 2 yr old. So quiet & has a 3rd rack for miscellaneous items you don't want falling off lower rack. Don't bother with Samsung d/w's. Not reliable according to Consumer a Reports.

Contributor

I agree, we remodeled our kitchen 2 years ago and bought GE Profile side by side fridge, an over the range microwave and an induction cooktop/electric oven. Two years later I couldn't be more pleased with my choices and would make the same choices today if I were to do it all over again

Contributor

I agree, we remodeled our kitchen 2 years ago and we

bought a GE Profile side by side fridge, an over the range microwave and an induction cooktop/electric oven. Two years later I couldn't be more pleased with my choices and would make the same choices today if I were to do it all over again.