Respected Contributor

Request your opinion on hardware finishes

I’m in a decor quandary and would appreciate your opinions or suggestions.

Since we bought this house the only room we’ve updated so far has been the kitchen.  I chose oil rubbed bronze hardware throughout, i.e., hinges, door knobs, electric outlets, lights, faucet, etc., and I still like it quite a lot.

Now we are in the beginning stages with a contractor to build, completely from scratch, a full bathroom in the basement.  We are presently discussing the choice of pieces so that a budget can be established.  The designer winced when I said I want oil rubbed bronze hardware, and cautioned me it is going out of style, that buyers want neutral pieces. She’s nudging me toward brushed nickel.  I do like brush nickel–we had it in our old house, in fact.

This is not an inexpensive project.  In her efforts to guide me away from it, DH choked and sputtered when the designer pointed out that, as the highest priced finish, bronze would add several hundred dollars to the bottom line.

My problem is that I’ve already begun with the bronze on the main floor.  Besides neutrality, I also want continuity.  There are two bathrooms yet to be updated, so that is a factor to consider in the choice.

What would you do?  Your input will be appreciated.    

---Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Request your opinion on hardware finishes

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

I’m in a decor quandary and would appreciate your opinions or suggestions.

Since we bought this house the only room we’ve updated so far has been the kitchen.  I chose oil rubbed bronze hardware throughout, i.e., hinges, door knobs, electric outlets, lights, faucet, etc., and I still like it quite a lot.

Now we are in the beginning stages with a contractor to build, completely from scratch, a full bathroom in the basement.  We are presently discussing the choice of pieces so that a budget can be established.  The designer winced when I said I want oil rubbed bronze hardware, and cautioned me it is going out of style, that buyers want neutral pieces. She’s nudging me toward brushed nickel.  I do like brush nickel–we had it in our old house, in fact.

This is not an inexpensive project.  In her efforts to guide me away from it, DH choked and sputtered when the designer pointed out that, as the highest priced finish, bronze would add several hundred dollars to the bottom line.

My problem is that I’ve already begun with the bronze on the main floor.  Besides neutrality, I also want continuity.  There are two bathrooms yet to be updated, so that is a factor to consider in the choice.

What would you do?  Your input will be appreciated.    

---Mrs. G.

I have rubbed oil bronze in my kitchen and brushed nickel in my bathroom.  Both rooms are on the same floor and in fairly close proximity.  I had a decorator who didn't have a problem with the combo.  It all looks beautiful.  I did carry a neutral color scheme into the bathroom.  I have chocolate brown floors throughout the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway to the bathroom.  I pulled it all together with brown and taupe towels and accessories.  I will say you should do what YOU want to do, but don't be nervous combining the two. 

Respected Contributor

Well, my thinking is that this bathroom is in the basement.......a completely different  location not visible from the kitchen.  I rather like the idea of having some differences throughout the house.  To me, too much continuity is boring, so I vote for the nickel!

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

I also vote for the brushed nickel. It is a very neutral color. Esp. since this 

bathrm is in the basement. Have fun with the decorating and all that. 

Honored Contributor

My house is relatively new and I was told not just by the contractor, but, by my real estate agent that nickel plated is "on trend" I got all the hinges, knobs, lighting fixtures, outside door handles all nickel.

I was told the day will come when you will want to sell and you have to anticipate what future buyers would like.  Nothing garish, loud, ditzy. 

Besides your husband will hold it over your head for the whole time if you don't go with nickel. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I vote for variety over continuity. Too much of a good thing (oil rubbed bronze) is too much! Brushed nickel is neutral and friendlier to the budget.

I do not think your theory of continuity applies from kitchen to basement bathroom.

Honored Contributor

The oil rubbed bronze looks to me to be more classic, more antique looking.

If the theme in your bathroom is towards that style, then go with the bronze.

I've personally never liked the brushed nickel, I know it's very popular now, buy to my eye, I want a cohesive look in a room, not necessarily cohesive through the house.

So if I was looking to something more antique or classic, warm looking I would not choose brushed nickel.

You like it, if you can afford it, go with what you like.   You have to look at it every day.

@IamMrsG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG

I agree that since this project is in the basement, you could do whatever you wanted since they are not even on the same floor.

We are almost finished building our new house.  This is what I found in pricing...

Chrome is the least expensive by far.

Nickel, Brushed Nickel in the middle

Bronze/Oil Rubbed , yes highest price point.

Ex)  one faucet we priced:

Chrome $180

Nickel $250

Bronze $333

I went with Chrome in laundry room and guest bath.

Brushed Nickel in Kitchen & Master bath.

The 'silvers' just went better with the grey/black/white color pattern of the whole house.

In my previous house, I had a lot of browns/beiges so I had bronze.  It looked much better than any silver colors would have.

I think your over all color scheme for the room should play a factor in your selection as well as the design.  @software had some great points.

Our previous 2 houses were Traditional, maybe a tad colonial styling.  This new house is modern and sleek.

We had the hard plumbing installed in our basement for a future bathroom we will do ourselves.

I am thinking I definitely want that bath in the brown/bronze tones.  I have all the accessories for that bath already that would match.

If the higher cost isn't a huge factor for you, you can choose whatever you like.

We may have spoken about this before, I think.  I used build.com and saved a FORTUNE!  No shipping, no tax, fast delivery, huge selection, great customer service.

Honored Contributor

Nickle and chrome say more contemporary; Bronze traditional.  I'd match the general look of your house rather than anything else.  If your house is more modern, go for the lighter metals; if not stick with bronze.  

Respected Contributor

You don't have to stick with bronze in the basement.