Honored Contributor

Replacing screen in windows...

The windows in are home are good but the screens are breaking down,  so we are thinking of replacing the screens only.

I swear I read somewhere but can no longer find the site, that you can purchase screens that keep out the view from the street but look 'standard' from inside the house.  

Is anyone aware of what I am talking about or did I just dream this idea up in my head?   Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Replacing screen in windows...

I have had screens on my windows for 25 years that are solar, so from the outside they look black. I can see out clearly; people cannot look in. There are different percentages of blockage. Mine are 90%. I tried the 80%, but depending upon how the light hit the screens/windows, sometimes people could see in; thus, I changed to 90%.

Originally I purchased them because at the time the redwood trees were not tall enough to block out the sun. Now that they trees are full grown, I find I still keep the solar screens on for the privacy.

I purchased them from a local window glass company. They are not cheap, but well worth the money to me.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler    Thank you for the reply...I knew I was not dreaming. Next step will be to look for a window company.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

The windows in are home are good but the screens are breaking down,  so we are thinking of replacing the screens only.

I swear I read somewhere but can no longer find the site, that you can purchase screens that keep out the view from the street but look 'standard' from inside the house.  

Is anyone aware of what I am talking about or did I just dream this idea up in my head?   Thanks.

yes, there are screen kits you can buy, and then get the screen roll. we did our porch screens they are floor to ceiling screens. takes a little patience but can be down. the hardest part is making sure the screen is tight

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also once had solar screens on west-facing windows. They were wonderful at keeping those rooms cooler, but at night you could still see in. During the day it's hard to see in anyway. 

@Mom2Dogs  Are your windows close to sidewalks where people walk by? Are you concerned about day or night? What is your climate? Please give us some details. There's no one size fits all solution to window privacy. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3  I am in the midwest....there is a window that if you are coming to my front door you can see directly into the house....you have to walk right past the window.

I do have bottom up, top down shades for window coverings but I don't like to have the shade down to cover the bottom portion of the window during the day....when I am just sitting in the family room, watching TV, reading, etc. I keep the bottom portion covered with the shade.  My house is dark to begin with so the shade covering the bottom portion of the window, makes it that much darker.

My concern is both day and night but usually once it's dark the shade covers the bottom portion of the window anyway.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Not sure if you have a True Value or Ace Hardware in the area, but ours does screen replacement, you do have to bring them the screens you want replaced.

I actually did one myself and said, no thank you, I opted for the hardware store and it was perfect.

Respected Contributor

OK! So the window is high enough so covering the bottom is all you need. And it's primarily daytime, because your shade works for night.

In your case, a solar screen could be a good solution. Of course if someone puts their nose right up to the screen to look in, they'll still be able to see in. But most people don't do that. (Dogs do.)

High percentage solar screens look black from outside, so make sure you'll be comfortable with that. I recently had to replace a screen where I wanted a little more privacy but did not want to cut down any sunlight in the winter. I chose an extra-fine highly reflective screen which was a great compromise.

It's good we have so many choices.

Esteemed Contributor

When we replaced our windows three years ago we did not get screens. We removed them totally. We never open the windows so only the bedroom windows are able to be opened but that's only because of code. (very rarely do we even open the shutters). If we want fresh air we open the back patio. We have a type of glass that helps keep the heat out. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2DogsThere's window screening companies in most areas. You could look on Yelp or Nextdoor to see which ones have good reviews. They'll give you options for different types of screen and replace just the screening in the frames that you already have.