Esteemed Contributor

Repair or Replace Pleated Shade?

I've a close to 30 year old (very pretty) pleated shade that has broken strings.  I'm tempted to replace it, but by doing a little research, I see that I could repair it, or have it repaired.

I don't want to attempt to fix it. I'd be happy to keep it, but I'm wondering if the cost to repair will rival the cost to replace.  I have many of these pleated shades on my windows - at some point they will all fail.  My thinking is to replace with an updated treatment and then follow suit when the need arises with the others.

Looking for opinions.  Thanks.⚖️

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Repair or Replace Pleated Shade?

[ Edited ]

our pleated shades are only 27yrs old, but in great condition, other wise. we have had 2 small room darkening shades re-strung and it was $30.00 ea. approx. depending on size. then we ordered a kit, from amazon, and watched you-tube videos and re strung the next 2 ourselves. it was very easy and kit was under $15.00.

if you are going to replace, i think you would almost have to do the whole room, because they might change style, color lots, etc, if you do them only when they break.(if i understood that right).

Honored Contributor

The things I would consider would be:

How much do I love the current shade. Sometimes I have something older and I can't  find anything new I like as well or better.

How well made is my old one compared to anything new I will get. My guess is that you might not be able to even buy a new one that is made of the same quality materials as the one you already have.

The overall condition of my old one. Will replacing the strings be the only thing that needs done, as in is it still very clean and new looking or is it really showing it's age with wear and tear, and upon a close inspection, is looking like it has been used for 30 years?

Cost. If my current shade was in really good condition, made much better than anything new I will find, and I still loved the color, style etc. I'm the kind of person that would pay the cost of a new one to keep the older and better one repaired. 

If the old one really has seen better days, and it will cost half or over the cost of a new one to repair it, I'd probably replace it, but complain once again about how you can't find quality made products these days, and know the new one won't last as long as this old one has.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks!  Those are all things I need to factor in.

It's really a beautiful shade - a doily of flowers, the center of a bay window.  The house is in need of some freshening and I am considering a change on that window as a "shot in the arm", meaning, wow!  That could change the profile of the room suddenly without much more.  Or would that lead to dissatisfaction with the rest of the room?  Gotta think about it.

Maybe just a sheer curtain.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

If I replaced, I'd do all of them, so I'd go the repair route.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Thanks!  Those are all things I need to factor in.

It's really a beautiful shade - a doily of flowers, the center of a bay window.  The house is in need of some freshening and I am considering a change on that window as a "shot in the arm", meaning, wow!  That could change the profile of the room suddenly without much more.  Or would that lead to dissatisfaction with the rest of the room?  Gotta think about it.

Maybe just a sheer curtain.

Oh yes, change one thing, then the room needs painting, then new furniture, new flooring, I understand what you mean!    But your shade must be beautiful.   I would  probably find it hard to part with it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@10sluvr -  The kit thing sounds promising.  I watched a you tube video - the guy replaced the string with fishing line.

Yes, you got me right, BTW - I am considering changing just the one panel and then segueing into other updates as the old ones go.  However, now I see that I might be able to keep them a long time if a simple repair does the trick.  (I make things complicated sometimes).  I have many of these shades.  More windows, and four full length French doors.

Thanks for the info.  Right now the shade is tied up with twine.  Heaven forbid my African violets don't get their light, or that the house looks sloppy from the outside.

Thanks again, all.

Cogito ergo sum