Honored Contributor

Repainting the spare bedroom

I am repainting the spare bedroom, and want to get it done before the nice weather breaks.

All the trim is wood...and is dark as well as the door and the two closet doors - those ARE NOT being painted.

My initial thought is to paint the room the same color as the up the stairs, down the hallway, the other small spare room (used as an ironing and exercise room)...just to keep things consistent.  That color is very neutral, not white, not taupe, but inbetween....great description isn't it!!

One wall in the room has wall paper on the wall, (not removing the paper, I love it)   the color is neutral...mostly...but looks like there is a slight tint of green......now I am not sure what to do, should I get a paint match to the 'green tint' in the paper?

Right now the room is painted green but it is dark and I want to lighten the room (there is only 1 window and does not bring in a lot of light). 

Any advice?  I know it's hard to advise when you cannot see the paper or the color of the walls in the adjoining area.

Honored Contributor

Re: Repainting the spare bedroom

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs   Nice salt water greens that maybe are soft and sometimes tean toward blue are very popular now.  WOuld that blend in or could you find some pillows that would incorporate all shades of green in the room?

Use a neutral bed spread and keep things light, uncluttered and serene? Maybe blend in some coral somewhere in the mix.  Or turquoise.

Super Contributor

I would stick with the color of the hallway and other areas for continuity, the wallpaper is enough accent.  And it will lighten up the room.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I used a light (really pale) green, from Beher (Lowe’s), called Coconut Milk.  Looks nothing like Coconut, or Milk.

Sounds as though it might work with your wallpaper.

Good Luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I would go with green paint that will match the green in your wallpaper.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Your spare sound like one of my spares. Your tones throught your home also sound so much like mine! Main level is all the same as well up the stairwell and hall is a color called 'ponytail'. You know what that is right???? I call it a light cafe aulait, I love this color, very easy to work with any color goes with it.

My 3 bedrooms have the color. You'd be amazed how great a soft green would look in your spare. Years ago I found a color that's called spreen green, looks like a soft pistachio. I love this color! It's easy to treat it as a neutral as odd as that may sound.

I say go for the green!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  Green seems to be my favorite color, living room is a dark green and the adjoining dining room has a complementing wallpaper...if I do say so my self it is very pretty.  Valances at the windows coordinate as well.

The spare I am painting, is currenty green, but just to dark, but not as dark as my living room...the color just seems off for the room, and I am looking to lighten it up.  I might go to Sherwin Williams and get a small sample of a green that scans from the wall paper, that should help me decide.

thanks everyone for the advice

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A light shade of green would certainly compliment the dark wood trim: think nature, trees, etc. Choose a shade that will compliment the feature wall of paper; it does not need to match. You can go a little bolder. 

I have painted my kitchen, master bath and guest room during the past six months. All different colors from one another, of course. Greatly improved those spaces!

Good luck, go for it and enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

Look at Benjamin Moore Grant Beige.

This color goes with everything.

Trusted Contributor

I think I would look at antique white by Sherman Williams or soft yellows.  These are neutral and go with any color. Also it would make the wood work pop.