Trusted Contributor

Removing sealed hard lid from a Nettie's bin (help)

[ Edited ]

I've used Nettie's Laundry Soda for approximately five years. I buy it in the 750 load humongous tub that will last quite a while. Wouldn't you know it I had to get into my back up tub and I cannot get the lid off! Of course it doesn't help that I had surgery on a badly fractured wrist in July, limiting the use of my left hand. There is a hard plastic tab that you have to break and then pull off the perimeter of the tub, exposing the lid. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. If I had a chain saw I would try that.  

The hand strength is so bad that I needed to open medication bottles by stepping on them to break them, then repacking the meds into a non child resistant bottle. My pharmacy sometimes forgets to use non child proof containers for me. 

Oy. Trials and tribulation over here. Woman Sad

dee

Respected Contributor

Re: Removing sealed hard lid from a Nettie's bin (help)

Do you have a neighbor or nearby friend or family member who could help?  You could set the tub on your porch for them to open, so you could be safely distanced from one another.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle  My only suggestion is sometimes it's easier to grip and pull something like that with a pair of pliers or some other implement than with the bare hand. Doing so also puts some of the pressure on the pliers rather than on the wrist.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle   Do you have something like a lobster cracker or pliers that you can use with your unninjured hand to have the nippers grasp that tab and then pulll it around the rim for you?

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

@stevieb   Jinx!  We had the same thought and posted at the same time.

aroc3435

Washington, DCWoman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried a small to medium sized pliers to pull the tab off, and then gripping the end of the plastic with the pliers to pull it off? It seems like that would give you the leverage you need. Just a suggestion. The other would be to ask someone you know for assistance!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry not familiar with product nor tub.

If I understand any of it.............the plier suggestion sounded positive.

Or just wait for somebody to pass you by - and ask them for help.

Contributor

Needle Nose plyers - have a kitchen pair for all those simply" pull tab items.

Esteemed Contributor

I know you all are going to think this is crazy (maybe it is) but, my Dad used to always be there to help me whenever I needed help & he is no longer around to do that so, every time I’m in a situation that I need him I call out to him ... “Dad I need your help” & sure enough I’ll figure out a way to get it done 😉😍..... good luck.

Valued Contributor

@deedledeedeedle so sorry you are having this difficulty.  if you have wrist support, maybe put that on so you don't injure your wrist.