Esteemed Contributor

Remember decorating BRs & buying colored TP

and Kleenex to match. I remember pink, blue and yellow.  May have been a green too. The trend started in the 50s and I believe stopped in the 70s.  I think they  used to do paper towels too in solid colors.  

I can imagine the dyes used were not good for delicate areas.  I think that and environmental concerns are why they disappeared.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remember decorating BRs & buying colored TP

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes! I once wrote a standup comedy routine about all that crazy matching and customization, but nowadays few people would have any idea what we're talking about. There was also a beige/tan color for the Kleenex, because that was what my parents preferred. The trend was still going strong in the early '80s.

And don't forget the scented roll inserts for your TP...  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I remember the colored TP and bought it to match my room.  I think they had lavender too.  Also, they had some prints.  I think Kleenex came in blue at one time.  

Honored Contributor

My grandma had her bathroom decorated in blue and always had blue toilet paper.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There used to be more variety in many items. 

I recall being at a High School Prom and  a girl had Vogue  pastel cigarettes in a slim box . They matched her dress. They were accepted then. 

I never wanted to smoke, but they were pretty. Clever marketing for a terrible product.

Respected Contributor

My cocker spaniel would get her mouth under the TP role and eat away. She ate so much of my light green toilet paper the night before a procedure that the vet remarked on the color and the amount. I quit buying it for fear the dye would harm her. But the white is dyed too I'm sure. 

Respected Contributor

I adored colored toilet paper!  There, I said it. 😁 

Respected Contributor

Yes I do but we d idn't have it Mom had white all the time but my Aunt had the best bathroom ever, loved going in there. She even had the towels to match. She sold Avon and the bathroom always smelled so nice. We even had white sheets, when I started working still living at home, I got striped sheets & pillowcases. I thought I was a big deal. 

Honored Contributor

I have a small guest bath....I buy hand soap bottles with colors I like and then buy nice hand towels to match the label. It looks great and I can “redecorate” any time I like.
My grandmother always had one of those dolls with the crocheted skirt that hid the extra roll of TP...the eyes on that doll creeped me out!
Esteemed Contributor

Ha! Had forgotten all about this My aunt had a blue bathroom and a pink bathroom. Always TP to match each. Always. 

Must have been more $$$,'cause we only had white for our large family.