Respected Contributor

Re: Remember Making Milk Carton and Ice Candles

Oh yes !!! Thanks for bringing it up, I did make them one year and they were fun ! 😊

Super Contributor

Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember making those. We used crayons for color too. I never, ever would have thought about it though without you reminding me. Thanks for the memory!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for the memories as I hadn't thought about those candles in A LOT of years.  I think we made them in Brownies or Girl Scouts.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I've done many types of crafts but not the Milk Carton Candles....but I do remember friends/family making them....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Our family had one but I don't know where it was purchased - I know my Mom didn't make it.  Pretty!

Honored Contributor

For a while my mother was into making candles using old Hi-C cans.  Ugliest candles you've ever seen.....

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom   What a pleasant memory. Yes, I remember making them in school (art class? home ec?) And one year with little ones.  Fun. Might do it this year at Christmas, thanks to this thread. 

eta...but I don’t remember ice. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda  It was an evolutionary process. First, we just quart milk cartons. Then we read that you could add chunks of ice to the carton to make a lacy effect. That worked pretty well Then came the whipped wax. We were not very good at that. I remember laughing until we cried!

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   I remember the whipped wax...sprinkled with glitter. But I missed the ice stage  Maybe it was regional. I did it in Maryland. 

Keepin' it real.