Trusted Contributor

Re: Remaining at home while your house is being shown for sale.

We toured many houses before buying our current home.  One in particular caught our attention, great looking home, great curbside appeal.  However, when entering the home owner was in the living room ironing clothes and she informed us we couldn't go upstairs because her child was sleeping.  Needless to say, we no longer were interested.  And yes, the real estate agent had called beforehand.  

Respected Contributor

When I sold my house, the eventual buyer insisted that I be home.  Since it was in the middle of the day, I had to leave work (1 1/2 hrs away), go home and then return to work.  But since they bought the house, it was fine with me.  At closing they even gave me a lovely card thanking me and wishing me well in my new home.

The house was for a young woman who  brought her parents with her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I looked at houses for sale, there were only a few of the owners who stayed. I felt very uncomfortable with them being there. I could not make comments, or really look a long time.

When I sold my home I always left when people came to look. Even took the dog. Yes, it was a hassle. I knew how important it was to me.

I always hid my valuables when selling a home.

I didn't realize this is an OLD thread.......................

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My RE agent said we should not be there and I did not want to be there. 

You will hear things that might make you upset. After all, while you think something looks great, the person looking might not.

Also, to add, nothing of value was left in my house - everything was packed and stored elsewhere. And, I did video the whole house along with pictures of artwork on the walls. 

I did have to cover my parrot and put a sign on his cage that said "I bite".  But, we did take our dogs out with us.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 - I did not realize it was old either, lol.

Respected Contributor

Wow, thanks for this post- I had not given this any thought, but now I certainly will.

Good idea of one poster to have valuables packed up to grab when house is being shown.  

Staying around during the showing is a good way to prevent selling! 

Honored Contributor

1. I would never stay in my home when a realtor was showing it.

2. Valuables and cash would not be in my home while it was shown.

3. Even when we have parties, I box up things I don't want others to see and my neighbor keeps them (totally trustworthy, she's like a member of the family to us).

Respected Contributor

I packed up all my valuables before my last home was shown, of course.

The buyers and the couple who bid against them both saw my home at an open house. I had offers the following day.

I had an exclusive listing with two agents, no multiple listing. The broker who delivered a good buyer at the right price won. At their commission, I had a right to set terms.

I was present during all showings, and so were my cats. I would never leave my home during a showing. Period. The house I have now is large enough for them to go to other rooms or upstairs or to the basement to have a private conversation. I was able to answer questions of the prospective buyers last time, and show them some features and give them some of the building's history that helped sell the place.

If and when I sell l my current home, anyone who looks will have to be prequalified. That will block the curiosity seekers and nosy neighbors who "always wanted to see what it looked like inside." 

Also, no one under the age of 18, period, and a limit of 3 people besides the agent. Mine is not a house made for kids, so I have no problem with that restriction.

The scenarios described on this thread are largely preventable if you negotiate your contract and prepare for a long haul. That's how it's done here--houses are put on the market for a few months, then pulled off to wait for another season if there's no sale. People allow two to three years for a sale, and sometimes longer.

If you need a fast sale, though, that all goes out the window and you have to cave to their terms. I'm facing that with an estate sale soon, but at least no one will be living in the house, I hope.

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care