QVC Customer Care

Re: Remaining at home while your house is being shown for sale.

Honored Contributor

I will be out of my house before I sell it. Buy a new house, move in, sell the old one.  That is what I did last time. .

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I will be out of my house before I sell it. Buy a new house, move in, sell the old one.  That is what I did last time. .

That's what I plan to do, also.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

That's what I plan to do, also.

That is the ultimate goal, but seriously, many people can't afford to do this. 

The last time we bought, we were told we could get a 'bridge loan' and do this, but we didn't feel financially stable enough to brave that process. If the old house doesn't sell, one can be in a real pickle.

Respected Contributor

We just sold our house....it was listed Friday and The next morning it was sold. The day of the inspection, DH and I were about to leave the house , when we hear some noise at the front door. Thinking it was the inspector, but instead it was the buyers agent who just let herself in along with the buyer, some relatives and children. The inspector wasn't there yet, showed up later. I thought it was rather unprofessional that she didn't ask if it was ok if she bring the buyer and relatives and children. I thought she should have at least asked first. Then she didn't even knock first but just let them all in. Anyway, glad the house is sold (: 

Honored Contributor

I have always moved out.  I find it cumbersome to remove all valuables,etc plus I have always had pets and animals smell no matter how clean you keep them.  Twice I have bought the new home and moved in.  This last time I was moving to another state so I rented a house for a year because I was not sure where I wanted to buy.  So glad I did!  I have never had a house remain on the market for more than a month.  The last one sold in a week.  

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Never hold "Open Houses".  All you will get are lookey-loos.  My husband and I used to go to open houses years ago to just to look and we were not interested in buying a home.  It was a Sunday afternoon thing to do. 

I bought my last two houses because I saw a house that looked interesting was having an "Open House".  I agree you get the curious neighbors, etc.  I have done that myself.  You cut out exposure to your home without open houses.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never leave my home during a showing unless almost everything was removed.  I know a realtor who showed a home during the holidays and the owner found that there were missing presents.  Of course, the listing agent had advised the owner to remove all presents, but the owner did not do so.

I also had a friend who was an antique collector and he refused to allow parents to bring their children to the showings on his home.  At the time, I thought that was an odd request, but as I get older and have more things that I consider of value, I can understand his request.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I see some of the things these people on House Hunters do - they get into your shower or tub with their shoes on - lay on people's beds. EEEww. When we started showing our house I did bake fancy cookies and leave them out with a note to help yourself, and thank you for being interested in my house. Also, on the morning of the closing I left a cake that said Welcome and may you have great happiness in this house, with a bottle of champagne in the fridge. The buyers sent me a wonderful thank you note, saying what a wonderful way to start out in their new home.

Respected Contributor

What purpose is served to point out those two things?  And what difference the price of a Hummel. They could have been priceless keepsakes too. 

I just had a daughter list her place and I don't remember the realtor telling her. I am grateful for a heads up from the OP.  Sometimes important info just gets overlooked.