Honored Contributor

Re: Remaining at home while your house is being shown for sale.

@151949 wrote:

We painted the entire living areas of our house ivory on the advice of our painter, and had the carpet steam cleaned. That was it. The realtor did not ask us to do anything else.He was impressed with the cleanliness of the house. We had our fifth wheel camper and our boat parked outside in the driveway, and several people commented on how nice it was there was room for them.(Pittsburgh is a big boating area so people look for that.)

@151949

I did the same thing.  After I moved my furniture out I had a painter come and paint everything off white (including things like the insides of closets and cupboards) because I love color in my home.  I also had him put a fresh coat of paint on the garage door, front door and the trim on the house.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Rockycoast wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

If I showed up to look at a house and the owner(s) were there, I'd walk away and chew out the realtor for being unprofessional.  If you don't have the common sense to secure your valuables before the house is shown, you deserve to be robbed.  

If you aren't mature enough to look at a house while the owners are there, you probably weren't going to buy the house any way and are just wasting the agents time as well as the home owner's. There is nothing "unprofessional" on the agents part. The silliness on your part...well that is another thing.

Your comment about "silliness" is uncalled for.  Every poster is entitled to have an opinion without being called silly and immature.

Her opinion is no less valid than yours.

That is my opinion NYC. Showing up for an appointment to see a house and then not going through just because the owners are there is silly and immature behavior and a waste of time.  I am intitled to my valid opinion just as others are. Thanks for posting  yours. I'll keep posting mine.

Mature adults are capable of expressing opinions without denigrating other posters.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Honestly , I think HGTV spews out a whole lot of krap and people swallow it hook,line and sinker.And some of it is you have to take down all your personal belongings , you have to leave the house and you have to take out your furnishings to 'stage' the house. I did NONE of this and we sold in 9 days. 

Really, selling is ALL about condition of the house and price.If the house is clean and in as perfect as you can make it condition - then priced appropriately - it will sell. 

I can only speak for myself, but I most certainly did not get that information from HGTV.  It came from seasoned real estate professionals, and I have heard it from many of them over a long period of time.  I also took some classes and read a lot about this in various publications.

Of course sometimes houses sell when the owners are home.  No one here has said that's not the case.  Many, many realtors prefer that the house be devoid of all personal items and request that the owners not be home.  Certainly no one has to do anything they don't want to do, but I understand the reasons, and they make perfect sense to me.

HGTV doesn't have the slightest thing to do with it.  I think you're jumping to a conclusion without any meaningful reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We painted the entire living areas of our house ivory on the advice of our painter, and had the carpet steam cleaned. That was it. The realtor did not ask us to do anything else.He was impressed with the cleanliness of the house. We had our fifth wheel camper and our boat parked outside in the driveway, and several people commented on how nice it was there was room for them.(Pittsburgh is a big boating area so people look for that.)

Just because your home was successfully sold under those circumstances doesn't negate the advisability of doing it a different way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rockycoast wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

If I showed up to look at a house and the owner(s) were there, I'd walk away and chew out the realtor for being unprofessional.  If you don't have the common sense to secure your valuables before the house is shown, you deserve to be robbed.  

If you aren't mature enough to look at a house while the owners are there, you probably weren't going to buy the house any way and are just wasting the agents time as well as the home owner's. There is nothing "unprofessional" on the agents part. The silliness on your part...well that is another thing.

It's not about maturity, It's about making the clients feel comfortable when making a huge life-changing purchase. I wanted to take my time, and talk about the house (without the owners there). A few situations it can make it difficult for the homeowners to leave every time (but if you can you should imo).

I don't think a credible real estate agent would say staying home is recommended, in selling a home.

@Rockycoast

Honored Contributor

See what I mean - hook , line and sinker. Swallowed the whole deal! 

Honored Contributor

I deal with home sales all the time at work because of probating estates.  If the decedent owned a home, 9 times out of 10 the house has to be sold.  I'd say we are about 50/50 of people paying cash for homes or getting a loan and in these situations most of the houses being sold are mortgage free.

Here in Ohio there are certain closing costs incurred that are typically paid for buy the buyer and some that are paid for by the seller and some that are split among them.  There are title exams, title insurance, pro-rated taxes, conveyance taxes/fees, real estate commissions, title policy, etc.  

All of these are deducted at closing so I'm not sure why anyone would be taking a check to a title company to pay a real estate commission, broker fee or any other closing costs.  For example if you sell your house for 100,000 and your share of the costs are $3,000.00, your check from the title company for the sale proceeds would be for 97,000.00. 

I personally would never be home if my house was being shown unless I was selling it myself and I wouldn't want a homeowner there if I was looking at a house either, unless they were selling it on their own.