Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remaining at home while your house is being shown for sale.

@151949 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We have only ever sold one house - it was 8 weeks from contract to closing.It does take a while to process thru a mortgage.

I pray it doesn't take that long. Have to close so we can close on our construction loan. Hopefully with us wanting a quick as possible close the buyer will be able to do that.

The issue is usually with the lender. They are processing thru many loans and they take a while.

Well I think we missed the super busy season in May and June so hopefully us asking for a quick close will speed things up. I know it will take a little time for the appraisel and inspection. We have to get out of here. I am starting to get dejected with this entire process. From the lender not mentioning months and months ago a bridge loan would make the interest rate higher on our loan. Making is have to sell our house first. To my dad taking his own sweet time getting the house finished. It's like hey we live in IN. We only have until about the second week of nov to get our foundation in. It has made the entire process of being excited to now being just who cares. 

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday The average house closes in 60-90 days. What takes so long is the buyer needing to secure a loan. If the buyer has everything in hand, then a settlement can take place as soon as the title company has an opening. In many cases, the seller has to find a house to buy or make arrangements to move; unless the buyer can offer a rent-back, the seller will arrange for settlement to take place when it works for them.

I've settled in as little as 15 days but that's because I already had my loan, the house was vacant and the title company had an opening.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been home every time our houses have been shown. We have a lot of cats, and there is no way I'm going to take a chance! The realtors have all been really understanding. I do get out of the way. Sometimes the realtor has come to find me with specific questions. If DD was home with me (she was 3 one time and 8 the other), she and I would sit on the family room floor and play a game. We would leave if they wanted us to, but no one ever did. DH was usually gone!

Our neighbors just sold their home very quickly. She is a realtor. They emptied their own things out and had furniture brought in to stage it. We don't see them much, but for the past 6 months there have been trucks there doing something - new kitchen and baths, roof replaced, new paint inside and out, etc. DH said about a month ago that they were probably moving. They didn't tell any of us. The sign went up; they had an open house, and we saw "under contract" a few days later. At my next-door neighbor's son's graduation party a few weeks ago, not many knew. A neighbor down the street who is also in real estate was talking about it. 

Staging is really popular in this area. Most people use their own furniture - just less of it. They don't want any knick-knacks around. I hope I can stay put for a while! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ccassaday The average house closes in 60-90 days. What takes so long is the buyer needing to secure a loan. If the buyer has everything in hand, then a settlement can take place as soon as the title company has an opening. In many cases, the seller has to find a house to buy or make arrangements to move; unless the buyer can offer a rent-back, the seller will arrange for settlement to take place when it works for them.

I've settled in as little as 15 days but that's because I already had my loan, the house was vacant and the title company had an opening.

That seems a lot longer then I am reading. In today's hot market most buyers have been prequalified.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@flickerbulb wrote:

I sold a house one year ago and I did not have to write checks to anyone.

At the settlement table, all parties received their checks from the real estate attorney's para legal.

I got my check, the selling agent got their check and the buying agent got a check.

All I had to do was show up and sign on the line and hand over the key. Done!

I was the seller and had to pay all closing costs.

I'm sure this is done differently by various agents/attorneys.

Closing costs are paid by the BUYER unless there is an agreement the seller will pay them. Usually this is done by putting the closing costs into the sale price - then the seller pays them, and it allows the buyer to put the closing costs into their loan. For instance the seller & buyer agree the cost of the house will be $200.000.Then the buyer asks the seller to pay $7000 in closing costs if he agrees to pay 207,000 for the house. The seller comes out even and the buyer doesn't have to come up with cash for closing costs.

There are closing costs for the seller too.  Usually, the seller pays for termite inspections and radon inspections and half of the transfer tax as well as the commission to the realtor.  No check is written out by the seller, but the money is removed from the seller's proceeds before they receive the check.

Honored Contributor

I blame the real estate agent and the parents unless the parents are thieves too.  You have to put all valuables away.   

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

isn't this a "old" thread being re-visited?

Honored Contributor

if you are a seller with your home on the market, it is customary for you to leave while your home is being shown.  A good realtor will insist on it.  Sometimes the home owner will just walk the dog or visit the neighbor.

a smart seller will remove anything of value before their home is listed.  They would also be wise to remove things the buyer might want to be left behind, like expensive drapes, patio planters, light fixtures, etc. (I replaced an antique hall light with a different one because I wanted to take it with me)

many sellers refuse to allow a lock box on their door.  The key must be picked up at the listing agent's office by an realtor before they can show the house.  A good idea, I think.

It has happened that realtors have used a home with a lock box as a hotel, letting themselves in while no one was home with the key from the lockbox. 

If if you want your home sold fast, it is best to leave and have a clean uncluttered home.  Dirty, cluttered homes do sell, but the buy always wants to negotiate the price way lower than market value.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1

It looks like my reply from one year ago regarding a house I sold TWO years ago was the impetus for bringing up this year old thread!

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb

honestly, I didn't read thru all the posts yet I thought this was a topic that was discussed previously, and one I may have even replied to!

It is good advice though....I never trust anyone in my home alone including realtors! (I had my entire house packed with boxes stacked to the ceiling in my garage & everything was sold except for everyday necessities ...I was ready to go!) I staged my home to sell it.