Trusted Contributor

Re: Remaining at home while your house is being shown for sale.

If I showed up to look at a house and the owner(s) were there, I'd walk away and chew out the realtor for being unprofessional.  If you don't have the common sense to secure your valuables before the house is shown, you deserve to be robbed.  

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp

What does an owner being present in the owner's own home have to do with a Realtor's
professionalism?  Chewing out an agent for this "horrible act"  is unreasonable and doesn't even make sense.

I have shown scads of homes when the owners were present.  Be pleasant, make friends while you're there and make the best of the situation. 

Not every owner gets enough advance notice of a showing to leave the house (thanks to buyers who fly by the seat of their pants when looking at homes).  Not every owner thinks it's important to let the buyers roam and discuss the home freely with each other and with their agent.  This hurts no one but the seller, sometimes, if people feel uncomfortable while there.

It's no skin off your back, anyway, so chewing someone out  for something they do not control seems  out of line.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@RazorSharp

What does an owner being present in the owner's own home have to do with a Realtor's
professionalism?  Chewing out an agent for this "horrible act"  is unreasonable and doesn't even make sense.

I have shown scads of homes when the owners were present.  Be pleasant, make friends while you're there and make the best of the situation. 

Not every owner gets enough advance notice of a showing to leave the house (thanks to buyers who fly by the seat of their pants when looking at homes).  Not every owner thinks it's important to let the buyers roam and discuss the home freely with each other and with their agent.  This hurts no one but the seller, sometimes, if people feel uncomfortable while there.

It's no skin off your back, anyway, so chewing someone out  for something they do not control seems  out of line.

@novamc1   

If you do some research you will see that it is known as the number one "offense" to have the homeowners present when showing a property (Example: Realtor Magazine)  When someone does something offensive and unprofessional, they should be called out on it. That's my perrogative to do so, just as it is yours to do your job poorly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

what @151949 is so true! This is why 3 weeks or so BEFORE I signed with a realtor, I packed up my house. Anything not necessary for day to day needs in a marked box it went.  

My ,,,younger son still was home at the time -- he'd come home from work and say "hey, where's my so & so?" I'd say left out -- I packed it!

By the time my house went on market it was"bare essentials". And hindsight, nobody was buying my style or taste -- they were buying my home! 

When the potential buyers came thru they almost always noted garage was packed with boxes, furniture, etc. (took up 1 side of 2 car garage).....

Then I'd laugh when my realtor told me I'd say to her "duh, they do realize we are packed and ready to go! So bring the offers!" I wanted a quick closing!

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp

Hate to tell you this, but the stars are not always aligned to suit our individual preferences.  If you would walk away from a house for the reason you cited, you were not very interested in it, anyway.

If you are interested enough in that specific home's location and other features, you can always arrange a later showing with a request to your agent, who can ask the listing agent, to urge (not command) that the seller  be somewhere else while the home is shown.  That is ALL a Realtor can do, regardless of what you think their job description includes.

I've never met anyone seriously interested in a specific home who would take it off their list simply because the owner chooses to be there.  Perhaps you have many desirable homes available in your market and do not need to get serious about any one in particular.  Move on to those properties.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@RazorSharp

Hate to tell you this, but the stars are not always aligned to suit our individual preferences.  If you would walk away from a house for the reason you cited, you were not very interested in it, anyway.

If you are interested enough in that specific home's location and other features, you can always arrange a later showing with a request to your agent, who can ask the listing agent, to urge (not command) that the seller  be somewhere else while the home is shown.  That is ALL a Realtor can do, regardless of what you think their job description includes.

I've never met anyone seriously interested in a specific home who would take it off their list simply because the owner chooses to be there.  Perhaps you have many desirable homes available in your market and do not need to get serious about any one in particular.  Move on to those properties.

@novamc1 I wouldn't need a later showing, because I would fire the realtor on the spot.  If I'm paying someone thousands of dollars to do a job, I don't "urge" them to do their job correctly, I command it.

Respected Contributor

Re-read what you overstated as a so-called "offense".  Having the owner absent is one selling tool in the toolbox.......it's not a punishable "offense" if that tool is missing. 

Clients get fired by their agents all the time for what I would describe as "incompatibility of temperament", by the way.  I hope the stars align perfectly for you when you see a home you'd like to buy and that more serious issues than this don't arise and create conflict for you.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Re-read what you overstated as a so-called "offense".  Having the owner absent is one selling tool in the toolbox.......it's not a punishable "offense" if that tool is missing. 

Clients get fired by their agents all the time for what I would describe as "incompatibility of temperament", by the way.  I hope the stars align perfectly for you when you see a home you'd like to buy and that more serious issues than this don't arise and create conflict for you.

Nah.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@RazorSharp

@novamc1 I wouldn't need a later showing, because I would fire the realtor on the spot.  If I'm paying someone thousands of dollars to do a job, I don't "urge" them to do their job correctly, I command it.

You don't even know that the one who pays the realtor is the seller not the buyer.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@RazorSharp

You don't even know that the one who pays the realtor is the seller not the buyer.

If I'm there, I'm pretty sure I would know who is paying.