Esteemed Contributor

Reglazing A Vintage Sink?

[ Edited ]

I've been looking at a variety of vintage kitchen sinks that are primarily worn enamel over cast iron.

While I love the retro look I'm wondering about reglazing/refinishing? The most popular DIY kit has poor reviews but I'm willing to look into a professional. Many reviews say at best you can get 3 yrs out of a reglazing.

Thoughts? Have you had a vintage tub or sink refinished?

Honored Contributor

Re: Reglazing A Vintage Sink?

@Snowpuppy.  Why not look for a new reproduction?  You'd probably get better quality.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Snowpuppy, I have a rental that has an older tub that has been refinished.  I would say the three year mark is probably a good estimate.   You probably could get more time out of it if you are very diligent in taking care of it.  I don't know if there is any big difference in the finishes used, but the tub is not suppose to have any abrasives used, which is major annoyance at times. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Snowpuppy.  Why not look for a new reproduction?  You'd probably get better quality.

I found a few reproductions I liked but the prices were YIKES!! Wayfair had one for $6k with built in drainboards but MIC.

So many newer materials like fire clay that I need to research. I still like cast iron.

Esteemed Contributor

@claros wrote:

Snowpuppy, I have a rental that has an older tub that has been refinished.  I would say the three year mark is probably a good estimate.   You probably could get more time out of it if you are very diligent in taking care of it.  I don't know if there is any big difference in the finishes used, but the tub is not suppose to have any abrasives used, which is major annoyance at times. 

I read about avoiding abrasives. Makes sense. I went back to using Dawn original blue liquid dish soap for a lot of cleaning. Great degreaser!

Thanks for posting about your experience with tub refinishing. I could always reglaze the sink and figure out ways to avoid using it! 😉

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

We had a cast iron tub done and the finish lasted 10 years before it started to show wear.  The tub was used all the time but I think a kitchen sink would get quite a bit more wear.  We had the tub done in the 80's so I wonder if there were finishing products that could be used at that time that are no longer used.

libby's folly