Trusted Contributor

Re: Redoing Wood Dresser -- How Would I Get This Look

[ Edited ]

@bcherry01   @Snowpuppy  Is right.  I didn't mention I do sand the finish on the piece ..Otherwise the paint might peel off and then you've got double the work...if I'm NOT  distressing the piece I put an oil based primer on after sanding and cleaning any sanding grit..so any tannins that are in the wood don't bleed through after painting.  I use  latex paint after using oil based primer...always paint in a well ventilated place preferably outside..and make sure each layer of paint is thoroughly  dry between coats.  Might be hard in a humid environment.  Here in the SW paint dries fast.  

I don't bother priming if I'm distressing because to me it adds to the aged look if I get some dark spots or yellowing through the paint. But still sand the piece before painting..DW

i forgot to ad..wear a mask while sanding.  You don't want to inhale the dust..DW

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01 Added to what @Kachina624 suggested, once you get the desired color and before you seal the piece, you can also go over the dresser with a wood stain using cheesecloth to give an antiqued appearance. You can vary the amount of stain depending on the look you want.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would do it with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint (no imitations).

No need to sand, just wipe furniture down with a damp cloth.

Many blues to choose from--at the very least--a half dozen.  Can be mixed for different shades.

Look on her site (Annie Sloan dot com) and you'll see some very pretty transformations.  Stunning.

I use it because of no prepping, sanding, removing varnish and most importantly, it's quite safe for the inside enviroment of your safe haven---your home.  No toxic fumes.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm  I've never used Annie Sloans chalk paint.  Do you use a wax top coat to protect the surface?  DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Lucky Charm  I've never used Annie Sloans chalk paint.  Do you use a wax top coat to protect the surface?  DW

@dancingwoman Yes, you can use a wax, I think she has two to pick from.  I use the clear one.  It's not a strong heady scent like minwax and the like.  For table tops, I always use the wax, but not necesarily the legs.  You can still wipe things down with a damp cloth even if they aren't waxed.  But my kitchen and dining tables are heavily waxed and are wiped down constantly.

Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I would do it with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint (no imitations).

No need to sand, just wipe furniture down with a damp cloth.

Many blues to choose from--at the very least--a half dozen.  Can be mixed for different shades.

Look on her site (Annie Sloan dot com) and you'll see some very pretty transformations.  Stunning.

I use it because of no prepping, sanding, removing varnish and most importantly, it's quite safe for the inside enviroment of your safe haven---your home.  No toxic fumes.

See I thought you had to use some special paint ... at least that's what my DH said.  Said it's very involved and might be too much for me.  

I should explain that the small dresser I have has no finish.  It's just wood, no stain, it looks like it was sanded and was going to be refinished but never was.  I'll  to post a photo.  Not sure if I want teal or blue ... maybe a green.  I just want the look.  And I want to get some nice glass knobs.  I'm just afraid Ill make a mess of it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are the drawers so you can see it's not been stained or varnished.

0830BF65-2E8B-4A10-B809-77A065C1971A.jpeg

Super Contributor

And this is the side.  It's small with only three drawers.

55978044-A045-4309-A41C-361CC385B964.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bcherry01  I used Annie Sloan’s chalk paint on a pine dining room table that had been polyurethaned. I just painted right over it with the chalk paint and rubbed it to look distressed. It’s a paint used as all other paints. No stripping or sanding involved which makes it so easy. Check out some chalk paint videos.