Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I have read recycling is costing too much money for some towns and they are stopping the recycling. My town doesn't recycle glass, they can't afford the glass machinery but we do recycle everything else  

https://www.azfamily.com/news/no-more-recycling-in-city-of-surprise-due-to-rising/article_77dc6782-b...

And I have yet to see/read/hear the real impact and cost of recycling. Not that I'm against it, but I bet the total impact of transport/processing/building facilities to do it/etc. creates a lot of environmental damage too.

Honored Contributor

Check out the bags on amazon, BeeGreen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was at an interesting "town hall meeting" where recycling and conservation were the topics.

Plastic grocery bags and plastic water bottles, of course, got the usual negative comments.

The usual rebuttal of "I reuse my bags as garbage bags (etc)....... of course came up.

The lecture responded with an interesting take "If you can use and reuse the grocery bag for a SEVERAL YEARS than yes you are effectively reusing"  If not use a reusable grocery bag.

Getting a plastic bag from a store taking it home, filling it with garbage and throwing it in the garbage is NOT HELPING anything!

Just wanted to share.

Neither is buying them.

Super Contributor

Insomniac2.  If you purchase the plant based biodegradable bags it will break down unlike plastic.  I agree that a plastic bag called biodegradable is worthless.

Super Contributor

Mominohio,  you are right about the reverse osmosis.  Some people cant have them for your reasons or because they rent.  My daughter used to buy her water in a large 3.5 gallon bottle then use her own reusable bottles.  At least that cut out the smaller individual plastic bottles.  As for the trash bags, well, they have to be plant based in order to be truly biodegradable.  I have no idea of the environmental impact it takes to make these.  It might just defeat the purpose but I hope not.

Respected Contributor

What happens when our towns are not profitable to recycles this is happens get ready we may not stop with reycyle get ready.I hate it by we may have no choice just dump it in trash. Many cities are dealing with this lack of profit. 

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

What happens when our towns are not profitable to recycles this is happens get ready we may not stop with reycyle get ready.I hate it by we may have no choice just dump it in trash. Many cities are dealing with this lack of profit. 

And then there are those of us who live rural, and there is no curbside recycling, and to get to a recycle bin you have to load things in the car, and drive many miles (for some) to find a bin that is usually over flowing when you get there. 

Our township and county is very rural, and has a high poverty rate. Many people don't have transportation to the bins, or just plain aren't going to pack it up and take it there, especially if they have to ask someone to take it for them, then find it is full and have to bring it all back home.  It's just easier to throw it in the trash for weekly garbage pickup. 

In our area, if they want recycling to be successful, it has to be more accessible and easy.

Honored Contributor

This thread got me motivated!

I have a stash of the plastic grocery bags for things I need to use them for, like kitty litter box cleaning, and they are all folded and stacked in the basement in a basket. But I also had a couple of big bags of bags just jammed in and not sorted and folded. 

So I gathered all those bags, and sorted the good ones out (they get holes so easily, some weeks you can't even get home with them intact), folded them, some for me some for my mom, and have the rest to drop off in the store recycle next visit. Those bags of unsorted bags was driving me nuts, and this thread got me motivated to take care of them! Another mess cleared up!

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think it’s practical to get rid of all plastic bags.  Our parks department puts them out to collect dog waste on the trails.  I use them everyday.  The grocery has a huge bin for used plastic bags for recycling.  

I haven’t heard a peep about small plastic water bottles.  Those I can’t do anything with.

Respected Contributor

Plastic bags is the least of our problems, my daughter works in ins.co. she does solar, hydro etc.. she has visited many sites that rotten fruit or veggies gives off a gas that they use for many plastic things, pig poop too. We are aware and how things are recycled is amazing. I do my best, some neighbors could care less. Live in Az. oh solar is huge here of course the sun know any new construction in private houses or business now has to have solar in Calif. it's a law now. We have underground wires found out in Calif with earthquakes no underground electric wires so many fires, they also will not cut down the forest trees due to environment which causes fires, got to clean out trees so fires don't start up. So if they don't want to clean out trees to save environment (which they could recycle the trees then you get bad fires) Calif wish you the best. Learn from other states they do it. Yes please clear out your forest then no more wild fires.