Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess if you reuse the plastic grocery bag as a trash can liner, it's better than buying brand new Hefty or Glad liners, in the sense that you're saving one plastic bag from the landfill.

But it's best of course to use neither plastic grocery bags nor plastic trash can liners.

@ValuSkr   What are you supposed to line your trash cans with then?  You have to use bags to put the garbage in your trash bin for the garbage people to pick it up.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Round and round we go.  We do the best we can, and I consider every small act important when you multiply it by all the people in the world.  I consider myself a conservationist and naturalist, but I have accepted the realities of modern life.

Years ago, I saw an ad from something like "The Plastic Council", in which they showed a broken glass shampoo bottle next to bare feet in the shower, suggesting how plastic has actually improved our lives in many ways.  I thought it interesting.

It seems like a drop in the bucket sometimes, but any awareness we raise about consideration for the Earth is helpful.  I think you spread a good message, @Abrowneyegirl .

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Recycling plastic bags

[ Edited ]

I dont know about the grocery store chain where you live, but the plastic bags here were getting flimsier and flimsier.....The groceries broke through before I could get them out of the trunk of the car.   So I bought the reusable bags made from recyclable material and they work great---I can get more groceries in each bag and they are so much stronger.... So that's my part in conservation ---  I dont use bottled water either.....

But yes @NickNack I do have to use a garbage can liners for the dirty kitty litter...... Cat Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Re: Recycling plastic bags

[ Edited ]

The grocer I use has bins for plastic bag recycling.  Small plastic bags are available at no cost for produce which everyone uses.  I take all accumulated plastic bags to grocer for recycling each week, have been using CA Innovations bags for groceries for a very long time.  If anyone uses grocery store plastic bags which are flimsy and half the size of my bags, they pay for them and grocer stopped offering paper bags about 5 years ago.

Honored Contributor

For a couple of years or so, we MUST provide our own reuseable bag.  First it was only at grocery stores and now it is all stores including stories like Macy's,  Target, Ross, etc.  The odd thing  though is that if we get a plastic bag with our meat, lettuce, items ordered online, etc. we have to put it in our regular trash as "the equipment for recycling cannot handle plastic bags."    Doesn't make sense to me.

Super Contributor

NickNack,   you dont need the grocery bags for cat litter.  Amazon and other places sell a plant based biodegradeable bag for just this purpose.  I also use my own reuseable bags at the grocery store. 

Everyone,  you dont need the single use water bottles if you have a reuseable drinking bottle or have a reverse osmosis system.  There are also plant based biodegradeable trash bags instead of using hefty or glad.  It just takes a bit of thinking to cut down on our waste.

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped using grocery store bags some years back, opting instead for reusable insulated grocery totes. My first was a large one by Lock & Lock and I have since purchased many others. HSN has a nice set by West Loop that I love.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

It is impossible to truly recycle plastic. There are miles of floating plastic pieces in the ocean: it is NOT biodegrable.

Respected Contributor

I have read recycling is costing too much money for some towns and they are stopping the recycling. My town doesn't recycle glass, they can't afford the glass machinery but we do recycle everything else  

https://www.azfamily.com/news/no-more-recycling-in-city-of-surprise-due-to-rising/article_77dc6782-b...
Respected Contributor

My Daughter lives in a townhouse they only have a dumpster so she saves her recycling & brings it over to my house.