Honored Contributor

Recommendations for steam carpet cleaner

I am looking for a carpet cleaner which uses steam --- I cannot abide heavy chemicals and odors due to health concerns --- and a steam carpet cleaner which is not very heavy.  I also don't want to pay an exorbitant price.  

Also, I never had a steam cleaner before so do these things dry the carpet pretty quickly?  I don't want to have soggy floors or have to worry about the floors not drying properly and then having the health issues that this might cause.

I am looking for your recommendations and suggestions and reviews.

Thanks so much!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Recommendations for steam carpet cleaner

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

I think I already posted back in May about a really great carpet steam cleaner I found at Kohl’s online.  While in FL, I did 3 bedroom carpets and found the machine to be so much better than the old model I had back at home.

It has a light that says WET when you push forward on the machine and then switches to DRY on the pull back.  If you want to release more soapy water, there is another button for that.  I found the water extraction to be excellent.

The new models are so much easier to use and lighter weight.  We actually shipped it home !  It was a Hoover Smart Wash and was on sale for $199.

Read all the reviews:  important to not store it on wood floor when finished because there may be some water drops....  I would sit it in a plastic bin to be safe.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

Goodhouskeeping dot com rated some carpet cleaning machines. Search:

Goodhousekeeping The Best Carpet Cleaners to Buy in 2019

I own a Hoover SteamVac Ultra SpinScrub and although it does a terrific job on my carpets, I think it's just too much of a back-breaking task. So I gave it up and now I call the pros to do it instead. I'm happy just to pay them rather than to suffer through having to do it myself.

Honored Contributor

So are you looking for a steam cleaner with a tank of water that wets the carpet, cleans with brushes, then extracts the water?  Or are you looking for one of those steam cleaners with the removable cloth pads that can go on carpeting?

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,

My only experience with a carpet cleaner was borrowing the one my MIL owned, which was a Kenmore from Sears.   One cleaning experience with it, and I turned to Stanley Steemer.

The cleaner didn’t seem heavy until I pushed it to clean 4 rooms and the hallway.  It took 2 full days for the carpet to dry on its own; 1 full day using fans.   I was never convinced the carpet was clean with that steam cleaner.

I enjoyed the Stanley Steemer experience, and finally felt the carpet was clean.  The only equipment brought into the house is the floor attachment and hose.   They do need access to an outside water spigot, but the water is heated by equipment in the van, and the water was so hot, the steam actually set off the heat sensors to our alarm system.   The technician dumped the water from the collection tank in our ditchline, so I saw the color of that water and knew our carpets had been cleaned.   The carpet was completely dry on top within 4+ hours using a fan.   I always had my carpet cleaned when there were special deals being offered, and I always had the living room and hallway sprayed with Scotchguard after the cleaning, so the cost was around $300.   

I have laminate and tile flooring now, but still get Stanley Steemer to clean my couches and recliners yearly.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a Hoover SteamVac on wall-to-wall carpet and it does an excellent job, but I'd expect Bissell to be similar.  

I'm allergic and also bothered by chemicals, but never had a probem with Hoover's or Bissell's carpet shampoo. 

Bissell has one shampooer that looks interesting.

"Big Green Machine Professional 8623" - Good Housekeeping Seal.  

But, it looks much too heavy and bulky for me and I can get my rug clean without something like this.

Never had much luck with carpet cleaning companies including Stanley Steamer.  Rug never looked clean so I tested it using a wet white cloth.  Always, residue on the cloth was varying shades of light gray.  Carpet isn't gray.

Decided to do it myself and found how clean and dry it gets depends on the effort to get it clean and dry.  One or two quick passes won't do it.  I know it's clean when the rinse water is clear and no more water is extracted from the rug.  My carpet usually dries within an hour.  I try to do it in the summer when the AC is running.  AC's are also dehumidifiers.  Afterwards, wear a mask to spray it with Scotchguard for rugs.  

Also, it's easier to clean when you're using a good vacuum cleaner that removes deep down dirt. 

It is time consuming and sometimes tedious, but there's satisfaction knowing my rug is clean...and funny thing, I actually enjoy doing it.  Don't ask me why.  I don't know.

Honored Contributor

I have a Bissell...purchased from HSN.....last weekend I did the upstairs carpet, 3 bedrooms and hall way.  

Also did the laundry room and our back porch....the carpet in those areas is a very flat nap carpet.

It did a great job, the water was filthy, I am embarassed to say!  I need to do the stair way next.

I was also able to remove a stain, thanks to the dog....Well worth the money and effort.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that there is such a thing as a light weight carpet cleaning machine, but maybe there is. DH and I had one (Bissell, I think) and had okay luck the first few times he used it. The last two times created real problems with the carpet in our loft and bedroom - drying issues and rippled carpet. Of course you should do what you want, but I'll never again try to clean my carpets myself. For the price and the frequency that it's done, I'll have it done by a professional carpet cleaning company and save my money and aggravation!

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I think I already posted back in May about a really great carpet steam cleaner I found at Kohl’s online.  While in FL, I did 3 bedroom carpets and found the machine to be so much better than the old model I had back at home.

It has a light that says WET when you push forward on the machine and then switches to DRY on the pull back.  If you want to release more soapy water, there is another button for that.  I found the water extraction to be excellent.

The new models are so much easier to use and lighter weight.  We actually shipped it home !  It was a Hoover Smart Wash and was on sale for $199.

Read all the reviews:  important to not store it on wood floor when finished because there may be some water drops....  I would sit it in a plastic bin to be safe.

HTH

@jlkz 

Sounds great!  I did not see your other topic. Thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

Goodhouskeeping dot com rated some carpet cleaning machines. Search:

Goodhousekeeping The Best Carpet Cleaners to Buy in 2019

I own a Hoover SteamVac Ultra SpinScrub and although it does a terrific job on my carpets, I think it's just too much of a back-breaking task. So I gave it up and now I call the pros to do it instead. I'm happy just to pay them rather than to suffer through having to do it myself.

@SilleeMee 

Thanks for the info.  Do you use like Stanley Steamer or something like that?