Esteemed Contributor

Recessed Lighting In A Hallway?

I saw the idea somewhere, using recessed lighting in a hallway that leads to bedrooms.

Pretty ingenious idea when you think of cleaning/dusting ceiling fixtures and moving furniture/mattresses and being cautious not to break globes, etc.

Other than they may look like a airport runway...I was considering replacing the cheap looking fixtures with 3 recessed lights...any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Recessed Lighting In A Hallway?

I love them .. up out of the way ... there but not there if you know what

I mean ....and you could always add a dimmer switch ...if you wanted

lower lights at times.....

Respected Contributor

Snowpuppy....that's exactly what we want to do.  We just moved into a new house last summer.  The previous owners put globe like flush mount lighting where all the recessed lighting was.  It's on our main floor and upstairs where the bedrooms are.  I think I have 9 or 10.  I much prefer the recessed lighting.  I think it looks better, cleaner lines. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's an excellent idea.  I love them and love the idea of having them in a hallway.  They don't have to be "in a line" like an airport runway, you could alternate one side to the other down the length.... or group a couple together (just thinking out loud)... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love love recessed lights - if I could afford - I've have them everywhere - on the stairs - kitchen - bathroom and even the garage.  I have in the family room but that's it.  Go for it.

Respected Contributor

IMG_2761.JPG

Respected Contributor

I love it.  It looks clean modern.  I would definitely put them on a dimmer switch 

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

IMG_2761.JPG

Oh fantastic .....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really like the square ones a couple posts up.  I have recessed lighting in a couple areas.  Two short halls leading to the bedrooms, kitchen around the sink and bottom of cellar stairs.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the comments ! Tho my home is less than 10 yrs old, it's done in Builder's Cheap and those globes have got to go!

In staggering the lighting I also thought of placing one light outside each bedroom/bathroom door. I don't want huge, glaring lights but a soft glow that would add some nightime safety.

The dimmer suggestion is great!  Also, the suggestion to eventually replace the bare bulb lighting on the basement steps is fantastic.