Frequent Contributor

Received Serta Hotel Mattress today

I received the serta hotel mattress today from the TSV last week. I haven't slept on it yet but it does feels comfy when I lay on it. I decided to post for two reasons:  the poor quality of the top mattress layer and the off-gassing fumes.

I don't buy a lot of mattresses so I don't know if this is typical but I've had to cut off a lot of strings from the  mattress layer. Not 2 or 3 strings but numerous strings from the top and sides of this mattress. I'm not interested in sending it back for this reason but it left me wondering where is the quality and pride in work  from the manufacturer? 

Right now, I have fans going and an air purifier in my bedroom as the off gassing fumes are pretty bad. I hope that the smell will be gone by bedtime because I m eager to try this bed out.

Has anyone else has these issues with Serta mattressess or am I the lucky girl? Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Received Serta Hotel Mattress today

The outgassing lasts for weeks, I had to return a mattress to Bobs the outgassing was making my asthma flare badly 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

I got mine on Monday, and I hate it.  It's one of the most uncomfortable mattresses I've ever slept on.  It's been so bad that I've been fighting the urge to sleep on the sofa.  I hope you find it more comfortable.

The smell is awful.  I wouldn't count on it disappating any time soon.  Mine still smells as strong as it did when it was delivered.

I'll definitely be returning the mattress.  I hope some of you have a better experience than I have.

Honored Contributor

Sorry you don't like your mattress!  How do you return it?

@judahsma wrote:

I got mine on Monday, and I hate it.  It's one of the most uncomfortable mattresses I've ever slept on.  It's been so bad that I've been fighting the urge to sleep on the sofa.  I hope you find it more comfortable.

The smell is awful.  I wouldn't count on it disappating any time soon.  Mine still smells as strong as it did when it was delivered.

I'll definitely be returning the mattress.  I hope some of you have a better experience than I have.

Respected Contributor

I've never heard of a mattress out gassing. Is it because this one has some memory foam in it?

Honored Contributor

We just bought a new mattress.  It's half inner spring and half memory foam.  It had no odor at all.  I would definitely return the mattress.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I purchased the TSV mattress this summer.

Mine had no odor...just a new mattress smell.

My sleep has improved100% since I have been sleeping on it.

I think the hotel mattress has more memory foam than mine. That is probably why it smells.

Contributor

To return it, they have to have a local shipping company come and pick it up.  The rep couldn't tell me how much that is going to cost. She said the shipping company would have to tell me that.  I bet it's going to cost a pretty penny.

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Sorry you don't like your mattress!  How do you return it?

@judahsma wrote:

Honored Contributor

OMGosh that's awful!  I just started a thread about getting an organic mattress.  I googled a couple of sites and read some reviews.  I was hoping for feedback on my thread.

The thought of even the odorless chemical treatments really does worry me.

We are in the market for a new set and I'm too afraid of anything that isn't really safe to sleep on.

Honored Contributor

Also want to say I almost got the TSV and am so glad we didn't.  The price for a king was under a thousand dollars if I remember correctly.

I'd rather spend more money on something better than a fuming mattress.

The organic ones are still fire retardant, just no toxic chemicals used.