Valued Contributor

Re: Received Serta Hotel Mattress today

Excuse me if I rain on your parade, but why on earth would you buy a mattress online? Where the return shipping costs would be hefty? Surely there are tons of reputable dealers in your area where you can try out a mattress, ask about out gassing odors (how horrible), return policies, etc.

My daughter and her DH bought me a new mattress a year and a half ago from a good dealer near me. Absolutely no odor, and firm and comforttable, with a FREE 30-day return policy!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack, may I ask what brand/style of mattress you purchased?  I would love one like yours as I love memory foam but miss having the inner spring.

Many thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

I am also wondering why anyone would buy something as personal as a mattress on-line? We just bought a Serta mattress a month ago from our local furniture store. They took our old one away and carried up the new one. Love my mattress! The salesman did mention how some mattresses come with a smell. He said to walk on the mattress to release the smell. Mine never came with any kind of smell, thank goodness.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@NickNack, may I ask what brand/style of mattress you purchased?  I would love one like yours as I love memory foam but miss having the inner spring.

Many thanks in advance!

@momtochloe, it's a Sealy.  It's called a hybrid mattress.  It's extremely comfortable.  We love it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

All:

To answer the question "why did I buy a serta online?" I had tested out a serta I-series mattress at the store and liked it. I thought that I would go with the TSV due to the price. I didn't realize that it would have the off-gassing issue.

Since my first post, I've had an opportunity to sleep on the mattress. It is very supportive and comfortable which is difficult for me to attain due to my disc issues.

I just hope that all sertas don't have the off-gassing issue. While the smell is not as bad as the first night, I still have my ceiling fan on to rid my bedroom of the fumes.

Occasional Visitor

Has the smell improved?  I also ordered this and will be receiving it Tuesday.   Thanks for the info!

Frequent Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yes we Received the Serta Hotel Mattress also like others & were excited to hear we could get a 4 & 5 Star Mattress from Top Hotels.  Well this is not like any other 5 Star Hotel Mattresses I have slept on.  I call it the '''THE EARTH QUAKE MATTRESS"", complete with after shocks of Vibration!

All you have to do is move the slightist bit & your partner will feel it.  God Help you if you have to move around or move a leg or adjust a pillow. You CANNOT MOVE on this mattress without the other person saying this is Terrible!  The Movement from your partner is over the Top & Totally Unreal waking either one of you UP!  I was erasing something on my ipad & was actually asked what are you doing ???? When you roll over, it is like a Ride!  !  I weigh 125 & 5' 7", my partner is much taller but 180, not over weight for either of us.

IFFFF this is a 4 or 5 star Mattress they Need to Start Over Again at SERTA!

We are so disappointed at the quality of Movement Transference with just a leg or arm. Very Sad & a waste of our time!

If that is not Bad Enough the Delivery guy started a fight with my husband telling him he would take all packing OFF outside the house placing the Mattress in the Pollen & dirt or my husband had a choice of bringing all the dirt & pollen from the outside in the inside. They did not Have shoe coverings & expected to just walk all over with dirty shoes.  With all the Wild Life We have all over our property Why would we want that, so there was an argument over it. My husband told the delivery guy to Call his boss so he could talk to him, He refused & finally removed the dirty plastic at the doorway so the mattress would be clean coming into the house, instead of the dirty plastic dragged all over the ground. We also got them Shoe Coverings. When the mattress was just laying there it was all out of shape & now we were told it had to settle. How do Low Spots Settle????

Still Hoping it would be Ok I asked the one nice delivery guy "Do you get many Returned"? He said YES!  I asked a lot?? He again said Yes!  When the other delivery guy walked in I asked him the same question & he said NO, but he was also the one that gave us an argument.  

Well I hope All the Buyers have Better Luck!  However it wouldn't surprise me if it

SINKS also. We Covered the smell with an Extra Thick Mattress pad.........buttttt

the """EARTH QUAKE MATTRESS OF MOVEMENT""" will be going back unless we like to stayup all night just moving in the slightist of way.

Frequent Contributor

Beth2222, the smell has improved somewhat but it is still there. I would say about a 60 per cent improvement. When I change the sheets, I can smell it. In the mornings, I try to air out the mattress while I am getting ready for work. Hope this helps...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tibard1 wrote:

Beth2222, the smell has improved somewhat but it is still there. I would say about a 60 per cent improvement. When I change the sheets, I can smell it. In the mornings, I try to air out the mattress while I am getting ready for work. Hope this helps...

It would be  a pain, but you really need to leave the sheets off during the day to let the smell disolve.  I wouldn't want to make the bed daily though.

It is normal for memory foam to smell for a while.  It should be gone in a day or two if you leave the sheets off.    I don't know if the TSV had memory foam in it or not.  I didn't watch.

Serta doesn't sell motel mattresses to the public.  I'm guessing they made these up for QVC and that is how they are describing them to sell them.

I do suggest buying local next time.  Support your local furniture stores.  (I have a furniture store LOL).

New Contributor

I have already phoned and asked them to pick up.  it was the most uncomfortable mattreess I even slept on.  Thankfully I moved my old one to the guest room so I am having them  move it back into my bedroom.

Hard AS A ROCK!!!    AND HOT!!!!