Honored Contributor

Re: Rearranging Your Furniture ~ How Often?

I have some rooms I completely rearrange maybe once or twice a year (living room), some rooms that I move a few smaller pieces around every once in awhile (family room and some bedrooms) and some rooms never (dining room, just enough room for the things where they are).

Some rooms are so small for the furniture that I don't have options without completely removing some of it. Bedrooms especially have only one place in each that the beds look like they belong. 

I don't like furniture that blocks windows (I see people often will put a bed right in front of windows and block them), so bedrooms might get a small piece or two moved, but not the beds, dressers and night stands.

I do get bored, even when I've found the 'perfect' look for my big rooms (living and family) so after some time, I mix things up a little, and find I love the new look too. 

When we were kids, we'd go to bed with the house one way, get up the next morning, and half the furniture rearranged. 

I think it worked for mom because we had much less. More room and less things equal options!

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy.  I do like to re-arrange-- do it maybe once per season in the living room.  The living room in our circa 1910 house is rectangular.  We think it was once two smaller squarish parlors that are now knocked into one longer one.

The one end remains fairly fixed.  You come into it from the front vestibule, so I treat it as a kind of enhanced entry hall slash study.  It also has the tradtional paneled staircase coming down into it.  It has a small Empire desk, a curio cabinet, my great Granddad's Morris easy chair, a small library table we throw our mail on, etc.  Because it is a "passage way" room on the way to the other end of the parlor, you have to keep it fairly clear so you can easily walk through to the other end.

In the sitting end, it's fun to experiment. I love to reverse the positions of the couch and the love seat.   One arrangement has the love seat angled and more pulled out from the wall.  That is my favorite, as it gives the room a more casual, impromptu air, and better exposes the bottom of one of the tall windows that I like to keep open.

The cats are always highly interested in these doings and love to get almost stepped on in the process, and then shoot out from under moving furniture in the nick of time....

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I never rearrange furniture.  My home is not large and I long ago found the best placement for the furniture.  Physically, I'm not able to move heavy pieces, so it stays where it is.

@Kachina624

Me, too!  I have very small rooms and the furniture and pieces I have -- when I first got them -- I had them every which way possible and some not possible!  So, now they have found their forever home --- LOL!  I cannot lift things any more and neither can DH. So --- even if we wanted to --- which we don't --- we couldn't!  I come from a long line of furniture moving women.  My mother and both sisters always moved furniture constantly.  My dear mother, we would go to school or work and when we would come home --- not only would the furniture be moved but she moved whole rooms!  Dining room would be living room, living room would be a bedroom, and on and on!  Never knew what you would find or where you would end up!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Our prior home had a living room that could be rearranged many different ways and I was younger then -- DH worked nights and that's when I would do a lot of my housework was in the late afternoon/early evenings.  He hated coming home in the middle of the night to find the furniture re-arranged and walking into a coffee table on his way through LOL

Honored Contributor

I have a large sectional that can't be moved but I do rearrange just about everything else occasionally (when the spirit moves me).

I do switch around drapes and decor in just about every room once a year. All my windows excluding my sliders are the same size so my drapes can be switched from room to room.

I get new bath towels, shower curtain etc. every spring.

I like to  mix it up ....I do get bored looking at the same thing ..just moving something makes it look new again.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the does not rearrange group. My house is small so once I find a good placement that is it for life. We lived in our last house 28 years with the furniture in the same arrangement the whole time.

Honored Contributor

There is a "best way" and I really don't stray from that.  I wouldn't make a change just to avoid boredom.

Respected Contributor

We have never rearragned the furniture. No reason to. The items are in the right spot for easy flow and looking good in any particular room in the first place. The only time I remove items is to decorate for Christmas. Just knicknacks are removed to be replaced with Christmas decorations. New furniture replaces the old, but the furniture remains in the original space.

Honored Contributor

I guess whenever it needs it.

The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.