Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Geez.......I never realized there were so many people with this problem.  I thought it was weird when mine started to buckle, but I guess not!

I have it too. I went to a very well known carpet store in my area and within the year it started to buckle. The installers were supposed to be the best too. Just goes to show that Yelp reviews aren't always right.

Trusted Contributor

We had an earthquake a few years ago.  We have carpeting in three rooms and, several weeks later, I noticed that our carpet had buckled in each of the three rooms.  I contacted someone at a local carpet store and they sent someone out.  It cost about $200 for the three rooms.

You don't need to empty the rooms of furniture.  Just some of the smaller pieces.  They used a power stretcher and it restretched the carpeting, with all of the large pieces of furniture in place.

It was much easier and quicker and I thought it would be.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

When we lived in Pa we bought new carpet and it started to unravel at the seam - we called the place where we bought it and they came out & opened the seam , restretched and cut to fit and reglued it. Worked perfectly. In our current home we had the carpet removed from a hallway and so the carpet that abutted that hall had to be cut and restretched and reglued, then a edging was put along where the carpet meets the laminate.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

Oh, I wanted to add, when this happened, I googled what might be the cause of buckling.  So many different things can cause it, among which are improper installation ( I don't think that was my cause), movement of heavier types of furniture items on the floors, etc.  I kind of think environment factors like temperature change, heating and cooling changes, maybe humidity all play a part in making the materials loosen up and eventually buckle.

Whatever the cause, it's a bummer, that's for sure.

@blueroses47 wrote:

Oh, I wanted to add, when this happened, I googled what might be the cause of buckling.  So many different things can cause it, among which are improper installation ( I don't think that was my cause), movement of heavier types of furniture items on the floors, etc.  I kind of think environment factors like temperature change, heating and cooling changes, maybe humidity all play a part in making the materials loosen up and eventually buckle.

Whatever the cause, it's a bummer, that's for sure.

When our carpet unravellled the repair man tried to blame our dog. That was a bunch of krap. It was the crummy carpet.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs  You know what - my builder grade carpet that came with the house lasted beautifully for 15 years with never any issues until I dropped a hot iron on it in the middle of the living room. The more expensive carpet we purchased from the company our insurance company made us go to was bad from the get go. 

Respected Contributor

I had my carpet guy come and do it. Never really needed doing again. 

Super Contributor

We bought brand new carpet 3 years ago, and right after the warranty was up (1 year) it started stretching all over the place. I won't mention the store, but we had to have it stretched again. Of course the warranty had run out, so we had to hire it done by someone else. The amount of carpet they had to cut would have almost done another room. My dad had his house carpeted by the same place..he had to have it re-stretched twice and when he passed away we had to do it again before we could sell his house. Never in my entire 67 years have I had that happen before. 

Honored Contributor

Boy, I'm glad I read this thread.

We have had carpet laid in our homes on a number of occasions, the last time being 21 years ago, and never had this issue. I know my parents had new carpet several times back in the day, and never had these issues either.

I'm wondering if it is yet another increased problem (in other words, it happened in the past, but is much more prevalent now) due to the continual cheapening of everything we buy. I wonder if the newer carpet fabrics and manufacturing processes are making carpet that is just stretchy now.

We need new carpet in a couple areas of the house, and since hearing all of your experiences, I will be sure to see if we can get some kind of warranty on that, maybe even an extended warranty, when we go to look to replace carpet the next time.