Honored Contributor

Most design freaks, sooner or later, become aware of designer Rose Tarlow.  Even people whose style is very different, can usually see that, within her aesthetic parameters, her taste is rarefied.   I liked her rustic California house when Architectural Digest featured it, but come to find, she also had (or still has?) a Belgrave Square flat in London that is memorable too!

The "Kitchens I've Loved" blogger had these fragmented photos of the flat-- wish there were more.  Here's Rose Tarlow in what looks to be her high ceilinged drawing room:

011-AD.jpg

She always seems to have tons of organic, green growing things, and a combo of iron, stone, ancient baskets and vessels, lots of French influence.

09-Arch DigestMarch 89.jpg

Priceless screen.

012-AD.jpg

This is the small dining room below, believe it or not.  It has a cozy, library-like feel to it:

013-AD.jpg

These vignettes kill me-- so interesting!

014-AD.jpg

This is the bedroom.  Interesting the way the ceiling heights and styles vary from room to room.

015-AD.jpg

Here's a lemonwood and ebony chest.  I've never seen lemonwood.

016-AD.jpg

A view of her London garden:

017-AD.jpg

Now, here's where the "Kitchens..." blogger confuses me.  She's showing Rose Tarlow's kitchen, but to me it looks more like a kitchen that would be in the California house, which I think had uneven stone floors also.  So not sure if it is the London one, or the American one, but anyway, it is striking!

018-book.jpg

020-book.jpg

024-book.jpg

024a-book.jpg

At some point I'll have to hunt up pictures of the California house so we can compare.   Rose Tarlow's rooms remind me of the way Lee Radziwill was decorating her own rooms near the end of her life-- with Tarlow being somewhat more "earthy" and color-subdued.   Wonder if Lee Radziwill was influenced by her...

Honored Contributor

Re: ROSE TARLOW'S LONDON FLAT

WOW

Honored Contributor

The bedroom and dining room are my favorites and over all I like the furnishings and decor.  I would make some changes, nothing major, however.  Just lovely and appealing on most levels.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell 

Beautiful home! I especially love the bedroom. The wood makes it so cozy!  I also love the lemonwood chest and that gorgeous screen!

Esteemed Contributor

Love the kitchen. Rest of the house seems over stuffed and dreary. 

Trusted Contributor

Love the screen and the lemonwood chest.  The dining areas look good, but how would you eat a meal without moving a lot of things?  Thanks for the photos.  Enjoyed browsing the flat.  

Respected Contributor

LOVE the London flat - she is a true artist, I could move in today.

Honored Contributor

I like her style even though I don't care for all of the pieces.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting, thank you.

Looking at the outside of this flat, I doubt the basement would look the way that kitchen looks (if it is indeed the basement).

Honored Contributor

Looks cozy.  I like some of it but not all of it.  However, she did put it together nicely.

kindness is strength