Honored Contributor

Re: ROOMS WITH FRENCH INFLUENCE

Not my taste at all, don't like all the white/cream furniture but the first NO for me is that gold framed mirror. That is one thing that, with rare exceptions, I just can't stand.

Honored Contributor

Oh, my.

I could be happy in most of these rooms.  Which surprises me.

Let's start with that kitchen...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you for such a beautiful tour.

I loved so much I saw and could have taken over that kitchen with the blue island in a snap.

I hope this doesn't bore you, but here's a little guide to your French furniture and one more.  

Again, many thanks.

Louis XIV Chair  

This chair is a hand carved antique on First Dibs.

Louis XIV is heavy and usually has stretchers between the legs for strength and beauty.  This style looks like "castle" furniture because it was.  Tester beds were popular with their heavy drapes to hold the heat around the bed in drafty castles.

Antique Hand Carved Louis XIV Needlepoint Tapestry Highback Armchair, circa  1850 For Sale at 1stDibs

Louis XV

Louis XV was a lighter chair reflecting the rise of women in the French court, therefore, the chair looks more graceful and femenine.  The back has upholstery surrounded by wood.

The curled leg ends in a cabroile foot.  The seats were often wider to accomodate the wide skirts.  The arm pads that sometimes appear are called manchettes.

French Provental is often done as an adaptation of Louis XV.

Louis XV Chair 3D Model $49 - .max - Free3D

Louis XVI

Louis XVI brought in straight legs and and arms have less curve. The cabriole foot was out of balance and the leg became straight.  Manchettes may or may not be found.

French Louis XVI Moire Armchairs

In that beautiful bathroom, you had another major style, Sheraton, part of the Neoclassical period.  S

Sheraton has a square back.  Delicate with veneers and inlays, geometric shapes.

Fashionable Designs for American Furniture | Doyle Auction House

Sheraton was another French designer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a note:  Thomas Sheraton was English.

I like this room that @Oznell  posted.  I like the juxtaposition of modernist elements with traditional architecture.

FB764DB1-2260-46FE-A520-B699CB7766CF.jpeg

Super Contributor

@just bee > Wholehartedly agree. I love almost anything French, especially the language....... and oh, the country, the food, the fashion etc., etc., etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sheraton was indeed English, but as with various styles tthen and now, virtually every style has been emulated in some fashion in various countries. Some would suggest the French version of Sheraton style loosely correlates with their Directoire period. It's also been said that Sheraton style was heavily influenced by Louis XVI furniture styling. Regardless, Sheraton's neoclassical, more or less Recency, style has proven to be very popular. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Sheraton was indeed English, but as with various styles today, virtually every style has been emulated in some fashion in various countries. Some would suggest the French version of Sheraton style loosely correlates with their Directoire period. It's also been said that Sheraton style was heavily influenced by Louis XVI furniture styling. Regardless, Sheraton's neoclassical, more or less Recency, style has proven to be very popular. 

Yes, Regency.  Heppelwhite also similar.  A little too formal and feminine for me.

Honored Contributor

I always admire the "not trying too hard" look the French manage to achieve.  Their rooms always look chic but not staged.

Honored Contributor

I'm correcting my spelling,  mind boggling, not bobbling.  LOL

Super Contributor

@Marsha2003  I think this a beautiful room, but those chairs are just so odd, they stick out like a sore thumb.