Honored Contributor

RETRO CLAPBOARD COTTAGE IN NORTH CAROLINA

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach  suggested it would be fun to see a house that hadn't undergone a huge renovation, but blended the old with some new improvements.  I agree.  This cute house is the closest I have come across to that.  It's both done, and un-done.

The back story is that a Nova Scotia photographer was moving to Greensboro, North Carolina, and in search of a house.  She knew she didn't want new construction, didn't want a ranch, didn't want to spend a huge amount of money.  She fell in love with this 1200 square foot cottage that needed a little TLC, because she said it looked like it would be on a Nova Scotia beach.  She did spruce up the floors, painted rooms, and removed one wall to increase light.

Love the distressed picket fence.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Instead of a massive kitchen overhaul, she decided on a retro "diner" look, even retaining the vintage formica countertops with metal edging, and painting the existing cabinets.  Her cheerful ceramics and appliances further the look.  I like the way they styled the kitchen with even a matching lemon cake!

dynamic_resize.jpg

dynamic_resize.jpg

dynamic_resize.jpg

dynamic_resize.jpg

The impromptu charm of mismatched dining chairs.  Hey, I have an old oak pressed back chair like hers-- never thought of giving it a wash of white-- it looks good!  The whimsical chandelier emphasizes the period feeling.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Charming kitchen armoire.  She did a classical black and white kitchen floor, reminiscent of so many Forties' kitchens.  The tiles are vinyl, so a nod to the linoleum of the past.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Her color palette is so fresh and happy.  Classic furniture and architectural elements like the leaning window frame, pair with unexpected zingy elements like the midcentury modern lamp.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Velvet cushions dress up a simple bench.

dynamic_resize.jpg

In the bedroom she simply painted a single dreamy blue accent wall.  Love the French-looking chandelier, the weathered headboard and sweet lamp.  She had a blacksmith cut a metal footboard in half, and then join those halves to the headboard to make a king size headboard out of double.  Clever.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Her vignettes reiterate her overall color schemes of blue and citrus... Love her collection of midcentury ceramics...

dynamic_resize.jpg

Delightful covered porch with blue chandelier, lime chairs, hanging window frames, striped curtains.  Great way to enjoy the lush North Carolina outdoors!

dynamic_resize.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: RETRO CLAPBOARD COTTAGE IN NORTH CAROLINA

i really love the look of this.  i would have to change very little.  the style is all me.

the checkered kitchen floor would have to go, and some of the pieces that are white, (like the kitchen chairs) i would prefer in natural wood.  i could and would move right in though

Trusted Contributor

Very charming and filled with projects you can do yourself.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is a charming lovely house and I do like it.  I would probably add some decor of my taste but I love the retro kitchen and her pretty vignettes throughout the rooms.  The open porch is definitely a winner for me but I would make it more comfortable .  It has the feel of a cozy place and that is appealing.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Very cute.  Not for me, but cute.

Honored Contributor

Very cute except for the aluminum siding on the counter tops, which I have never personally had but thought were terrible when I did see them.

High color palettes are cute to SEE but hard to live with.  They wear out the eye rapidly because of the intensity.

Our son used to play with a little boy who's mother came to pick him up and said "You're going to think I've lost it!  I carpeted the entire house in teal!!!"!!!

Teaching Interior Design, I knew that if your eye doesn't have enough peace (calm area) you can't live with it.

Honored Contributor

Great points, as usual, @ECBG .  I do think individual tolerances vary, however, and for me, intensity matters.

Her jolt of yellow in the kitchen is quite a bit too strong for me;  yet the soft living and dining room blue and even the bedroom turquoise are right up my alley.  I love to live with sort of chalky, "off-pastels".  Intense brights or primary colors though, I don't want to be around.

Interestingly, she said in the article that that cabinet yellow turned out brighter than she thought it would, but she decided to leave it because it was "cheery".   Too stimulating for me!  But isn't yellow paint notoriously difficult to choose?  I've heard more stories of people who thought they were getting a soft pale butter, but ended with a vibrating school bus hue!

Esteemed Contributor

I love this house. That kitchen was like my Aunts. The yellow and that floor. It's just such a warm inviting and not overly decorated home. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely enchanting!  I especially love the cheerful colors of the kitchen!  This house is like a dollhouse come to life!  I think the outside of it is lovely.  This is my taste and would be my little dream home!!!!! Very uplifting.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

This is very pretty. I like black and white flooring but in this kitchen I think I would have gone with the hardwood like we see in other rooms.