Honored Contributor

RENOVATED MASTER BEDROOM OF "FARMHOUSE VERNACULAR" BLOGGER

[ Edited ]

This is an add-on to the thread on the "Quirky Blogger Decorates Her Front Hall",  etc.   Please go to video at the very bottom of this post if you wish to skip my rambling preamble.

She goes into depth on the master bedroom reno in her old, self-described "folk Victorian" farmhouse. 

Interestingly,  they took over their parlor to make the master, mainly because they needed the parlor's high ceiling to accommodate their four poster.  She, (Paige) said they are glad they did, because now they will better be able to "age in place" since they will have a master, master bath, and laundry room all on the first floor.

I think that is so smart!  I'd love to do that in our house (circa 1910) which is similar vintage to theirs (1905).  But I think she said theirs is 2000 square feet, while ours is only 1500.  If we put our bedroom where the "parlor" is in our house, we'd have no sitting room at all on the first floor!

Another smart choice she made for their light switches is a smoky antiqued brass switchplate (it actually looked pewter on my monitor) with black switches.  The black flip switches were chosen to be reminiscent of the old, black "push button" switches, which apparently are quite expensive.  But I love the idea of the antiqued, metallic switchplates and black switches for our house too-- so much more soulful than what we have!

I found her choice of color for the walls too dark for my personal taste, but she seemed to love it so much-- more power to her!   Everything they did is so well explained, so if you're interested at all in historically "sympathetic" renovations, the video is compelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boruIj9gXKk

Respected Contributor

Re: RENOVATED MASTER BEDROOM OF "FARMHOUSE VERNACULAR" BLOGGER

What a delight!  I am so delighted that you found her!  I love that she gives the details of what they have done and how.  It is lovely that she is so pleased with all that they have accomplished.  Looking forward to more.  Thanks, Oznell.

Honored Contributor

Oh, agreed @Somertime, what fun to follow the reno!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope. Still not feeling the love... The renovation might be spot on but the decor, such as it is, leaves much to be desired. The floors, though, are beautiful. I also like the little cabinets built in next to the chimney.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

True to the style, but I'm not feeling it.  I can't imagine having enough room in that wardrobe and two drawers of a dresser!!

It certainly is a labor of love though.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

True to the style, but I'm not feeling it.  I can't imagine having enough room in that wardrobe and two drawers of a dresser!!

It certainly is a labor of love though.  

@faeriemoon  Agree and that ceiling seems mighty low for that four poster. I'm not much of a fan of four posters anyway, but that one isn't particularly appealing and seems to dwarf the room. The only thing I might be interested to learn is what they now use for a 'parlor', since they put the bedroom in what should have been the parlor. Were it me, I'd have the parlor where the parlor is supposed to be and have the bedroom upstairs, where it belongs. When and if the day comes when one floor living is necessary, I'd make the switch then, assming they even stay in the house that long. Clearly, she love the house, but things do change.

Honored Contributor

It's just OK for me. She loves it and that's all that matters. 

I do like her and her love of this home. I like seeing different tastes in decor and look forward to seeing what happens next.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @DREAMON,  whether the style meshes with mine or not, in this case, is not as important as getting to see how others make those interesting renovation decisions!

Esp. with old houses, how people solve the problems of storage, inadequate closets, the desire to find appropriately antique hardware (like door knobs, backplates, hinges, and on and on) just fascinates me. 

It'll be fun to see other reno dilemmas resolved as different rooms get completed...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoyed seeing her resolutions to the issues she brought up, from ceiling height to storage, and how they make it work for themselves.

I am not sure why our more astute posters are still commenting in the old yea/nay style.  The videos are for learning how someone has created a home for themselves, not for us.  She clearly explains what she, and her husband, are willing to live with and what they are not.  She has her own parameters, which are very likely not to be ours. 

She's a good teacher.  I loved hearing that they are both engineers.  I wonder what type.  Never mind, I looked them up.  She is a manufacturing engineer and he is a mechanical engineer.  

This is a quote from Paige in an article about the couple and the renovations from Kentucky Living:

“I feel like the Instagram and even the YouTube channel (we just started)—it’s just an opportunity to give people information,” says Paige. “So that maybe things that were done to this house won’t be done to another old house, or someone will see it and say, ‘OK, I can restore it instead of just tearing it out or covering it up.’”

ETA:  If you watch the video of her house tour that follows the master bedroom one, she answers a lot of questions that folks might have.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

I am not sure why our more astute posters are still commenting in the old yea/nay style.  The videos are for learning how someone has created a home for themselves, not for us.  She clearly explains what she, and her husband, are willing to live with and what they are not.  She has her own parameters, which are very likely not to be ours. 

Perhaps @GingerPeach  some are more interested than others in the subject matter and in seeing how this blogger created a home that works for her and her husband. For others, we're seeing the finished product and determining whether or not we assess it favorably, think we can take things away that might work for us, or are expressing what is and isn't appealing or intereting to us... From my perspective, there's no right or wrong way to post... Just as there's no right or wrong material to be posted... For me, I was initially interested to see what these posts were about but have now found I don't particularly enjoy this bloggers work or her aesthetic, so will most likely be minimizing my exposure to it going forward... For those who take something meaningful away from her postings, hoping they continue to enjoy them... No harm, no foul... We all seek different things from the forum postings...

Woman Wink