Frequent Contributor

Re: REALISTIC AND FUN 'STAGING TO SELL' SUGGESTIONS

I've heard on House Hunters that your home should look like an expensive hotel suite--take out personal items but arrange pieces to suggest how to use each room; sometimes home buyers don't have good imaginations as to how their belongings will look in a new home.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@jackthebear  I tend to agree with you... Too many on You Tube are convinced they're 'stars' and really, they so aren't... Then there are those who try too hard to be cute and, well, they aren't either... Others might enjoy them (or tolerate them...) but I tend to find them annoying... This one was no exception... Her remarks, at least the somewhat useful ones, could have been condensed way down from this too long video... Even in fast forward, I didn't personally need to see her run the vacuum or clean the kitchen to know those are things to do when showing a house... Actually, when it gets right down to it, she didn't invent the wheel and I'd heard most of her suggestions before... I don't know, You Tube is a mixed bag, but so many of the 'how to' videos pertaining to decor are, for me, among the weakest...

also might be that longer videos = more revenue but I am not sure about that

it's like the podcasts (can't stand them )

Hieee I'm Jack and I'm SteveeeBEEE and they yammer on for 5 or 10 mins about stupid stuff before even getting to the meat of the topic by them I have zoned out, and I am not even a young person.  who listens to that nonsense 

There are a few YT that don't do that and I watch those 

Honored Contributor

So true, @Mardie --  when we bought our house, the homeowners had staged the small dining room as a study.  I wouldn't have thought of that at the time, and we did ultimately use it as a dining room, but it gave me ideas about the versatility of the rooms on the first floor!

Honored Contributor

I tried to watch the video but got bored quickly.

While I understand staging a home might help to sell it, I have no issue with seeing the owner’s personal style & belongings. I can still tell if I like the “bones” of a house without it being stripped down to minimals & neutrals. The only thing that would turn me off would be if it was dirty. 

Where do people store all the stuff they put away for staging? Stuff it in an attic, basement, or rent a storage unit? 

Honored Contributor

I could be wrong, @wilma ,  but I think she said that the few things that they did put away, they put in the garage.

Were I to lightly declutter our place prior to sale, I'd put things neatly in a bin or box in basement or attic, just because our garage is detached and it'd be more of a pain to lug things out! 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I tried to watch the video but got bored quickly.

While I understand staging a home might help to sell it, I have no issue with seeing the owner’s personal style & belongings. I can still tell if I like the “bones” of a house without it being stripped down to minimals & neutrals. The only thing that would turn me off would be if it was dirty. 

Where do people store all the stuff they put away for staging? Stuff it in an attic, basement, or rent a storage unit? 

@wilma  I'm kind of there with you. I think this whole staging concept, which is most likely something less energetic realtors dreamed up to help move homes in a slow market, has taken on a life of its own and I'm more or less not buying it. Back in the day, builders would decorate a 'model home' to help sell houses but this whole notion of staging an occupied home is for the birds as far as I'm concerned. If you've already moved out, the house is empty, and you want to play the game, go for it. Personally, even that strikes me as a bit much, but there's no way I'm staging an occupied home. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Afrer working with many buyers and sellers over the years, I don't like the "staging" concept either. It only started to take hold in the real estate industry during the 1980s-90s.

It's an extra expense and can be partiularly hazardous if buying or selling a used home, as opposed to a newly built one and being the first owner.

With a used home, I'd prefer to see it empty of all people and furnishings before I decide to buy it.  Amazing how many warts and flaws can be seen then and either corrected in advance  by sellers or rejected by buyers.

It's a nasty surprise to discover that as a buyer, you viewed a home with rugs on the floor.  Then you buy it, the rugs are gone and the floors look crummy.  As  a Realtor, I had to negotiate compromises between unhappy buyers and sly sellers during the final walk-through inspection on the way to closing.

Today's young buyers seem to have no imagination when viewing a vacant house and  apparently need someone to show them where their furniture can go in each room---thus the popularity of staging just to compete for buyers. 

It's nonsense, as far as I'm concerned.

Honored Contributor

I watch Sell This House re-runs on DABL TV.

Lots of tips re: staging homes to sell.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I don't find it nonsense at all, @novamc1 ,  but to each his own.

My Dad was a realtor,  a really excellent one.  I loved going with him (occasionally) to show houses, and to me, an early 'decorating fiend',  I found the drama and excitement of a well-arranged house to be so appealing.

Some may be put off by the term "staging",  but to me it's just plain common sense.  No matter how modest or simple a home, it can be clean, clean, clean, orderly,  not crowded, but with furniture to give buyers an idea of how best rooms can be used, it can be fluffed (ha), sweet-smelling, fresh, and putting its best foot forward.

Those are general concepts, of course-- that's why I enjoy hearing specific things that help bring out those positives.  For me, as one fascinated with all things "houses",   it's both fun and instructive.

Honored Contributor

I love "Sell This House",  @ROMARY !   What is DABL TV--  we probably don't get it, I bet.