Trusted Contributor

Re: RE the Artwork that Others Choose

My best girlhood friend was of Polish decent.

Her mother received many pieces of artwork in lieu of payment for her translating job.

Every room in the whole Chicago bungalow had this type of artwork covering the walls.

En masse, it was quite impressive and lent the home a museum like quality.

I like this piece of artwork because it harkens back to someone's heritage.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  - OMG, I thought the same thing when I saw that painting. Really don't like anything about this room.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Chicagosuburbangirl , the painting is probably not a relative, but heritage/cultural significance.   looks like every bit of wall has a picture.  this one over the fireplace because it fits the space. My eyes are not good enough for a good look, and who knows where my glassses are? 

Trusted Contributor

Wow.  From the very "unusual" sculpture on the left side of the fireplace to that picture.  Oh my...Striped chairs.  Pink --no PINK walls. 

Oh my no.  Disaster.  

Respected Contributor

I'm intrigued by the portrait.  I've tried to track down if he was a soldier under the British  in India around the late 19th century...or perhaps a Turkish soldier.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Other than the pink, the room interests me.  There is a story there.  I think the owner must be an interesting person to meet.

Esteemed Contributor

This entire room is dark and oppressive. The main artwork over the fireplace doesn't look anything like any of my ancestors who came across the prairie in the mid to late 1800s....the gun and clothing are wrong. That said, I don' find anything that I like about this oppressive and very strange room!

Honored Contributor

The artwork is menacing...but so is the entire room.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

This whole vignette just needs to be rethought or, better yet, eliminated.

@stevieb  LOL

Honored Contributor

Ottoman Empire?

Call me crazy but I like the room except for that painting. I don’t think I could ever have a painting of someone holding a weapon I don’t care if it is my ancestor.