Honored Contributor

Quilters-a question from a non-quilter

Our queen size quilt was a handmade gift from a family member.  After much use, some ties have pulled off and some stitching has torn.  I know this family member makes and sells quilts so I'd like to hire her to make a new one.  My question is if the "fill" is a fairly expensive portion of a quilt? If it is, would it make sense to use it again and just replace the outer fabric?  I can tell a lot of effort goes into a project like this but I'm not at all knowledgeable about quilting.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quilters-a question from a non-quilter

I would suggest you just ask her to restore the quilt and ask her if she thinks it needs new batting. There are all different levels of batting but you want to use good batting so the quilt holds up nicely. She will be able to tell you what will be the best way to restore the quilt.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG

If you need a queen sized quilt, for example, here is a product (on sale now at JoAnn's) that can be used for the batting-

It's on sale for $27.99 now.

Many quilters have their "preferred" batting as some work better than others and some wash up better than others.

HTH

Honored Contributor

I used to sew a lot and made my clothes.  I also X-stitch and crochet, you name it.

However, I do not know how to make quilts.  I just wanted to tell all of you quilters I am in awe with everything you do!  You have to have an eye for color, patterns, etc.

People think it's easier than it really is....Anyway, just wanted to say you guys are real artists and I appreciate your abilities.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG I emailed a friend of mine who quilts and asked her what she uses. I've only made a couple of rag quilts, so I didn't know your answer. This is what she said:

If I want it to be light and fluffy I use polyester but if the quilting is intricate I use cotton.  😊

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG I have purchased batting for other projects and didn't find that it was expensive.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I'm in awe of your talents too.  Sometimes I get down on myself because there are so many creative and talented people, and I don't have any artistic ability.  I know the lady who makes quilts needs the money and enjoys making quilts.  After having this quilt for several years, I think I'll get everything new.  Now I'm going to have to seek out the fabric but hopefully someone at the store can assist me with that.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG

I like fabric.com because you can load swatches and add them to your design wall.  It helps me to see what goes together as I add them to my cart.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG, I am a quilter.  I will attach a couple of photos of my last quilt.  I usually do one large one each winter.

Here is my advice.  Since your friend made you the quilt, I would bring it to her and ask her what she thought about restoration.  Some times it can be done and sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth.  Let her make the assessment.  Maybe a new quilt would be preferable for you and for her.  Keep an open mind.  I am sure if she gifted the quilt to you, she will be able to properly assess the project.

Also, there are a variety of different bats than can be used. It depends on the look you are trying to achieve and the warmth you are looking for. Some bats will make a quilt look more puffy and handmade and some, like dream cotton, are flatter and will not look as homemade. It is a personal choice. Good luck with your project. LM

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  That quilt is absolutely stunning. You garden as well as quilt. A multi talented lady. Heart