Honored Contributor

Re: Quilt pics for my friends over in Fashion

message 38 they didn't delete it

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures. I wonder how many quilts she made during her life. What talent!

Honored Contributor

I think around 75. Back when she was young in 1919 you made those real dark just made for warmth square patch quilts that had those little strings in them.  What everybody had back then.  As time went by and she was much older she made them , like in these pictures for pleasure. Wasn't meant to be used they were like to be seen and not touched LOL

We would say now days "artistic expression". She wasn't interested in learning about how to use a VHS machine , answering machine, all that new fangled stuff.  Stuff like smart phones, I phones, computers, Kindles, etc. would have held no fascination whatsoever. Cameras with memory cards that you can have your pictures in 5 minutes would had made her think it was black magic. LOL

Each generation is different. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I think around 75. Back when she was young in 1919 you made those real dark just made for warmth square patch quilts that had those little strings in them.  What everybody had back then.  As time went by and she was much older she made them , like in these pictures for pleasure. Wasn't meant to be used they were like to be seen and not touched LOL

We would say now days "artistic expression". She wasn't interested in learning about how to use a VHS machine , answering machine, all that new fangled stuff.  Stuff like smart phones, I phones, computers, Kindles, etc. would have held no fascination whatsoever. Cameras with memory cards that you can have your pictures in 5 minutes would had made her think it was black magic. LOL

Each generation is different. 

The quilts I make and gift are meant to be used and loved, not folded away on a shelf in the closet.  

If they become tattered from love and are no longer useable, you can always find enough of a good spot to make either a Christmas stocking or ornament from it.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Wow - by hand!  That's really amazing.  Such a lost art.  Beautiful quilts. 

Agree!

Respected Contributor

Magnificent!  These quilts are priceless.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown