Honored Contributor

Quilt pics for my friends over in Fashion

Better post them here or they will get moved.

OK, gals I took 2 shots of the 3 quilts my mother in law gave me.

Remember, she was 93 when died and was born in 1919, so, she grew up having to know how to quilt by hand she had no machine. As she got older and kids were gone she started making them and people would flip and she started selling them. Most she ever got was a thousand, she sold one to my sister for 500. Took a yr. to create.

Enjoy !

DSCN0231.JPG

DSCN0232.JPG

DSCN0233.JPG

DSCN0234.JPG

DSCN0235.JPG

DSCN0236.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quilt pics for my friends over in Fashion

@SharkE, Oh I love quilts.  My grandmother and her mother were quilters and while I have only dabbled in it, I SO appreciate what goes into making one like those you've shown. 

How I'd love to take the dresden plate quilt off your hands!

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Respected Contributor

Wow - by hand!  That's really amazing.  Such a lost art.  Beautiful quilts. 

Honored Contributor

LOL Wasn't she a marvel ! All that work pieced and stitched together, materials and stuffing bought, etc.

I thought painting cabinets were a chore ! LOL

I used to live around Evansville, In and I remember when  Tom Hanks was filming a movie there (baseball movie think it was the one with Madonna)

his wife Rita loves quilts and she came in and let loose. She had the budget to afford the best and I bet she dropped some serious money.

Crafts are more prevalent up around there and the Ky area and elsewhere

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Her work is exquisite.

I've quilted and it is hard and time-consuming.  The Dogwood applique is beyond beautiful.

She had a wonderful eye for color!  The dresden plate quilt is a work of art.  I would have it hanging on a wall. 

How wonderful you have these to remember her by.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  Love them all, gorgeous!!!!  Nothing like G'Mom's handmade quilts.  Mine made TONS both applique & cross stitch although I think she preferred the appliques. 

My fav here is the thrid one - looks a lot like one she may have done from many yrs gone by. But honestly, ask me if I want one, YES to any one of them!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Stunning!

Please consider displaying them at some type of craft show, or art gallery or such.

Not permanently, but during a specific exhibition for crafts or quilts

There are also groups of people who do a "quilt crawl" or a quilt "trail" throughout the country,.

People who admire the craft would be thrilled to see your mom's quilts.

Such an incredible heirloom, thanks for sharing

I know you are not interested in selling, but you would be offered $1,000s for one.

Honored Contributor

didn't know that people done that. I had always wondered since I'm childless who I would sell them too. I have no idea how to go about it

Thanks for the infor.

@software

Honored Contributor

@SharkE,

The quilts are beautiful!   I would be thrilled to own any of them, and bursting with pride to own all 3.   Enjoy! 

Honored Contributor

Those are nice. My MIL also makes quilts. We have so many she has given us over the years. I tried to get her to make me a king size for our bed but it never happened. She did make a king size for her grandson. I asked DH why would she make a king size for him but not for us? She knows I bought one to put on our bed. I don't have any place to put all of them. I have several on the bed in the guest room under the comforter. If we have company I have to fold them all up. LOL!!!