Valued Contributor

Questions about using Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner

This is somewhat embarrassing to ask about, but I have never used this product or anything like it. Have always just used Comet Cleanser and a brush. I wanted to try this to help with stains, but after reading the warnings on the label about using it, I'm a little afraid to do so. It tells use to use protective eyegear, clothing, and gloves. Really? Sounds like I need to be extremely careful using it. If it's this dangerous, thinking I probably should just return it to the store.  If anyone uses this, is it as dangerous as it sounds? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about using Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner

@qualityshopper  I've been using it for years.  I don't wear all kinds of protective gear and so far so good :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I use it all of the time too.  Just don’t get it in your eyes and wash it off immediately if it gets on your skin.  

Common sense, but as you know, some people don’t have any and the manufacture is protecting themselves from dumb lawsuits.

I have never had a problem and use no protective clothing or eyewear.

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper  I wouldn't use Comet because it is bleach and is bad for my septic system.  I generally use vinegar and baking soda with a pumice stone on my hard water stains.  Most of those cleaners have various warnings.  It is like medication, they all have pros and cons.  I use what is good for my septic tank, and I prefer natural cleaning methods without harsh smells due to my allergies.  Generally, if it is on the shelf at a US retailer, not those back alley places, they are safe for use but don't mix with things to amp up the cleaning power.  It is good to read those, especially if you have allergies or sensitivities.  Many people are sensitive to the smells and chemicals. 

I like to try new things sometimes, but I usually go right back to vinegar and baking soda. Those cleaners do sound great, but with my hard water build up, vinegar or even soda pop has the acidic level I need to eat away at those stains and be safe for my septic tank.  I have thought about using the Don Aslet one with the soft brush.  I hate toilet brushes.  They get so dirty and ucky.  Now, I would like some tips on that!

Honored Contributor

Nothing beats a pumice stone for getting rid of toilet bowl stains (elbow grease required) and it's never harmed it.... then I disinfect with a disinfectant cleaner.  Voila! Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@qualityshopper  I've been using it for years.  I don't wear all kinds of protective gear and so far so good :-)

Ditto for me, just as @Bird mama says. I use that same product once a week or so and it does a fine job with bowl rings or other stains. I don’t take any elaborate precautions or wear protective gear, just handle with common sense. For instance, I won’t combine the Lysol product with another chemical like bleach, ammonia, Comet, etc. I don’t squirt it in from way above the bowl so it might splash out of the bowl onto me.  I don’t swish it around with the brush super-vigorously enough to create a splash onto my clothes or bare skin. You know, common sense like birdmama apparently uses. 

@quality shopper: The mfr. includes all the warnings to make sure the clueless are informed. Covering their legal responsibilities since the product is a chemical. I wouldn’t be surprised if your Comet has a precaution saying not to ingest it, or to keep it away from your eyes, or some such. I bought a new toaster oven recently and the manual warned me in all-caps, bold type not to use it while in the bathtub! Duh?

Not saying you ought not to read labels, but you should be aware that using cleaning chemicals has inherent risk and you can minimize the risk by strict adherence to label warnings. Or use of common sense when handling.

Comet is an abrasive cleanser. Scratches the porcelain bowl. Lysol TB cleaner will do no harm, cleanse properly, and is only dangerous if used arbitrarily.  Good product.  (Keep it away from children) 

Respected Contributor

i have not seen it. i just use bleach to clean toilet. i let it sit  like 20 minutes and scrub toilet with toilet brush.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal  "to make sure the clueless are informed".  

That pretty much says it all!  Informed, but still clueless.  Made me laugh out loud. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

i use it. i sometimes open a window if the weather is nice and i do wear gloves anytime i am cleaning the bathroom.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper

Comet is awfully scratchy for use,on toilets, tubs and sinks. Once you damage the porcelain finish with an abrasive cleanser, it gets dirtier very easily and soon.

The best bathroom-cleaning products I've ever found and have used for several years are the Clorox wands with easy pop-on-and-pop-off nonscratching scrubber pads.  You never have to touch the pad---push a button on the wand and the used pad pops off into the trash.

I still have to clean toilet rims and and exterior places with a soft sponge and some Lysol bathroom

cleanser or other brand, but the Clorox wands are easy and handy for swishing and scrubbing out a toilet.

I get the Clorox refill pads in bulk at Costco or BJ's Warehouse whenever they go on sale.

As for warnings on labels, be safe and careful not to mix ammonia with any bathroom or kitchen cleanser that might contain bleach. Fumes that will result can kill you.  (I believe Comet contains bleach, too.)