Valued Contributor

Re: Question to REAL ESTATE experts....from a seller

Having purchased 4 homes in our lifetime, I would not want to see a listing with the owner/ owners present..if unavoidable, at the very least, sit somewhere as unobtrusively as possible. I feel it is the owner’s responsibility to turn on all lighting when a showing is scheduled/ expected. 

The agent in question here may have very well been there during an agent’s open house, where several agents go to a new listing together, with the listing agent to see the home. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, unless you read the thread and pick up the facts, please dont comment. The answers now are borderline ridiculous. I guess we have lots of realtors on the QVC forums, not out selling houses? But wait, they are and yet are so kind to drop in and give their advice in such a generous spirit. You not only bashed and twisted everything I said but piled on to anybody who disagreed with you. This really does not serve your professiopn well to inhibit open honest dialogue and again, this is why real estate agents will be a thing of the past with in the next ten years. Just like travel agents, car sales, dept sales, and everything else. Buyers want to get rid of thie secret trade secrets and just deal with open honest situations. Why on earth would anybody  hire a real estate agent then try to undermine them, that makes absolutely no sense at all. Not my fault the gal cant sell, but I know i can and I will. It isnt rocket science.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Thebig I

If you think you can do a better job  yourself of getting your home from on-the-market to a successful closing, go ahead and do it.  You need to make yourself happier than you seem to be now. 

Just realize that agents showing your home have screened their buyers and at the very least, know  who they are and where they live, have a good sense of  whether they are legitimate buyers and not looking to commit a crime, and have already found out that they are financially qualified for the properties being shown to them instead of "just looking".

No way in this day and age would I put my home up for sale, and allow perfect strangers to request and gain  entry to my home.

Considering all the crime reports about home invasions, home robberies, I certainly want to be able to track down the agents who showed my home and find out who has looked at it.

You might not know that lockboxes containing keys to listed homes record the identity of agents who have shown the home.  If anything bad happens in your home while it's on the market, some pretty good information can be obtained from those records.

Good luck.  Here's wishing you a quick sale and a good price for your property.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1do you know what they do to vet the potential buyers?  I don't recall having to provide any sort of proof of finances before showings as a buyer.  Other than get name and address, what are realtors doing these days to vet them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp

I don't know how other real estate licensees run their business or budget their time in working with new clients, but a general practice where I sold for many years was to have an iinitial meeting, hand the buyers a questionnaire where they would provide name and address,  info about what type and price of home they want. and other types of info, such as dates when they might need the new home, etc. 

Also have them consider and make a choice between buyer-agency or dual-agency, which is legal in our state.

Then, questions would be asked about how the home will  be paid for, because a seller and lender will want to know.

Then, maybe, if not already done independently by the buyers themselves, hook them up with a loan officer of their choice.....or I could recommend a few to contact, if they didn't want to search on their own.

No sense  in looking at homes, suddenly coming upon one they really want, and not being able to provide some evidence that they can afford to buy it, because they will need that evidence to convince the seller to take their offer.

I could tell a few stories of sellers I've known who acted on their own, took their homes off the market waiting for buyer to get a loan for an already-agreed-upon settlement date.........and then.............of course......the buyers weren't qualified for the loan after all.  Lots of lost time for the seller

A real estate licensee  or a lender  can ask hard questions . right up front.  about any outstanding student/car/credit card debt and assets before showing multiple homes. 

I've been lied to by buyers about finances, too, but the loan officer working with them informed me and kept the whole transaction from being a total disaster for the seller rather soon.

If a seller of one home confronts people coming in the door with these hard, personal financial  questions, what do you think the reaction would be?

Respected Contributor

Being home during a showing is not a big a deal as some like to make it out to be @Thebig I . We have bought sold 4 homes and it did not make a lick of difference.  What you should not be doing is showing the potential buyers your home. You should not be following around the realtor or her/his clients.  Just stay out of their way and let them tour your house on their own. Go about your business, work in your garden or read a book. As I stated it is perfectly fine that you are home during a showing. It is not ok to follow them around during the tour. Let them do it themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  I don't think a seller can ask those questions at the door without it being extremely uncomfortable; even if they did, who is to say the buyer isn't lying.  

Valued Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

Ok, unless you read the thread and pick up the facts, please dont comment. The answers now are borderline ridiculous. I guess we have lots of realtors on the QVC forums, not out selling houses? But wait, they are and yet are so kind to drop in and give their advice in such a generous spirit. You not only bashed and twisted everything I said but piled on to anybody who disagreed with you. This really does not serve your professiopn well to inhibit open honest dialogue and again, this is why real estate agents will be a thing of the past with in the next ten years. Just like travel agents, car sales, dept sales, and everything else. Buyers want to get rid of thie secret trade secrets and just deal with open honest situations. Why on earth would anybody  hire a real estate agent then try to undermine them, that makes absolutely no sense at all. Not my fault the gal cant sell, but I know i can and I will. It isnt rocket science.

That will NEVER happen. INTELLIGENT people won't buy a house without a RE agent.

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@Thebig I wrote:

That will NEVER happen. INTELLIGENT people won't buy a house without a RE agent.

Very true and most  buyers do not pay a commission to the realtor. What they get for zero cost is someone to show them a house so they do not have to go into a strangers home alone, someone to negotiate the price when they make an offer, get a legal contract to purchase the home and have it completed without having to hire an attorney,  help with financing, order inspections and guide them through the whole process.

That's quite a good deal

Honored Contributor

I am a former Realtor but haven't commented on this because you don't want comments that don't agree with you.  I don't understand why you posted at all.  I guess you wanted people to commisserate with you, which didn't happen.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau