Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Those Having Pergo or Other Top of the Line Laminate

On 10/19/2014 kachina624 said: I think the engineered wood is just a thin layer of actual wood. I've heard it can be re-sanded and stained one time. Regular hardwood of course, is solid wood all the way through.

It's not all the way through as they make you believe. If you look at the side of the planks the wood is very thin. (Paper thin)

Valued Contributor

What I was wondering, too, was do most of you have area rugs in those rooms where you have the Pergo? I was thinking of having a large area rug under my dining room table and a matching one in the center of my living room since the two rooms are connected. Also, probably one at the foot of my bed.

Contributor

I had Armstrong Luxe Vinyl Planks installed in my kitchen/dining area about 2 years ago. I didn't want laminate because I don't like the hollow sound. I am very happy with the results. There are a lot of different companies/levels of of this kind of flooring. The installers had a lot of experience with it, so the way it was put in was excellent. Knowing how to set the planks so they make a pleasing flow to the eye is a skill. Everyone who has seen this new floor has told me how great it looks. It's holding up very well. It's warm underfoot even in the winter and is not at all slippery due to the slight texture.

I'll try to put a link. But if it doesn't work, just go to Armstrong's site and put Luxe Plank Vinyl Floor into the Search.

Armstrong Luxe Plank Vinyl Floor

Valued Contributor

OK, another question for Pergo owners. Some people are commenting about the hollow sound. Please explain and why does this sound any different than walking on a wood or vinyl floor versus carpeting?

Super Contributor

We've had Pergo in our kitchen for over 20 years and prefer it to the dark laminate in the rest of the house. When we can afford it we'd like to get wood floors to replace the laminate.
Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 patticakes said:

OK, another question for Pergo owners. Some people are commenting about the hollow sound. Please explain and why does this sound any different than walking on a wood or vinyl floor versus carpeting?

I had Pergo in a house (in a breakfast nook) I bought and I HAD to get rid of it. The color was lovely but the sound! The sound is distinctly fake. If it is installed with proper sub-flooring it will help with noise volume, but the sound is still noticeably.

When you go to a flooring showroom you will have the opportunity to walk on different sample areas of installed floor, you will immediately notice the difference.

Contributor

Sept of 2013, we removed all of our carpet and ugly linoleum and put down top of the line Armstrong laminate flooring on our entire 1st floor. It is stunning when it's clean. But, with 3 boys and a really messy husband, my floor always has something on it. Our floor has a high gloss finish, and whatever you do go with a matte finish. If, you like your blinds closed all the time it's great. But, with all the light comes foot prints, finger prints, water spots and whatever else my family has spilled. It's a never ending job wiping it down and you will need to buy a Shark steamer too. I also dropped and broke a plate after having the floor only 2 days, it did leave a spot on the floor where it looks like it took off the top finished surface.
Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 patticakes said:

Because you're walking on plastic, not wood or carpeting which absorb the sound. Laminate reflects sound.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 contented said:

I had Armstrong Luxe Vinyl Planks installed in my kitchen/dining area about 2 years ago. I didn't want laminate because I don't like the hollow sound. I am very happy with the results. There are a lot of different companies/levels of of this kind of flooring. The installers had a lot of experience with it, so the way it was put in was excellent. Knowing how to set the planks so they make a pleasing flow to the eye is a skill. Everyone who has seen this new floor has told me how great it looks. It's holding up very well. It's warm underfoot even in the winter and is not at all slippery due to the slight texture.

I'll try to put a link. But if it doesn't work, just go to Armstrong's site and put Luxe Plank Vinyl Floor into the Search.

Armstrong Luxe Plank Vinyl Floor

I've been researching the vinyl plank flooring because my Pergo laminate is so hard on my dogs. I have big dogs and live in fear of them tearing and ACL slipping and falling on the laminate. I have a backyard pool and that's another problem with the laminate, it's super slippery when it's wet.

My Vet had the vinyl plank flooring put in her animal hospital and it's gorgeous and super functional.

Contributor

i have pergo on my lower level and in a number of ground floor rental units. i've never noticed that it's noicier than any other hard substrate. i will say to buy a product that is 8mm thick. that's the best made on the market..... luvie