Honored Contributor

Question for @Mominohio -- Selling Temptations & Fiesta

Hope you are well and your mom & family too!

I recall you had posted you sell your items on what I thought was FB or NextDoor.

Our Community yard sale was cancelled due to COVID this year.  I would like to sell my excess pieces, bakeware and cookware.  All are new (or gently used maybe 1 or 2 times)

Can you direct me or give me ideas.  Thank you

homedecor1🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for @Mominohio -- Selling Temptations & Fiesta

@Mominohio  hope everything is going well. @homedecor1  sent you a message. She would like to sell  some of her Temptation pieces so that she can BUY somemore.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Hope you are well and your mom & family too!

I recall you had posted you sell your items on what I thought was FB or NextDoor.

Our Community yard sale was cancelled due to COVID this year.  I would like to sell my excess pieces, bakeware and cookware.  All are new (or gently used maybe 1 or 2 times)

Can you direct me or give me ideas.  Thank you

homedecor1🙂

@homedecor1 

Hey! 

We are mostly doing ok. I've had issues with my mom, falling early in this pandemic, but we kept her home and there were no issues except a black eye and some scuffed up fingers. 

Then last Thursday, after going so way above and beyond to keep her home, keep her away from this virus (because my husband still has to go out to work, we even were mostly isolating ourselves from her), she had another A Fib attack and had to be taken to the ER. 

Good news is that mediation and a few hours there got it under control and was released, bad news, she was in an ER during this darn time!

But on to your real question!

I sell on Facebook. I use the Marketplace, but lots of local garage sale sites too. It's pretty easy to create the listing on one page, then post it to multiple ones. 

I look up sold prices on Ebay for what things are going for, then list less, because Ebay has a much larger audience than FB, so you mostly will never get Ebay prices. 

There are a lot of other places, like NextDoor and others. My choice is to list in places that are geared toward local pickups, because I refuse to pack, ship, insure, and deal with broken glassware and refunds, and pay pal and fees. 

I get less money selling local, but I have less hassles. People see the item at pickup, no surprised or requests for refunds like when you ship something and it isn't what they though it was, or in the condition they thought it was. 

If selling locally, you can do a contactless porch pick up, just arrange a pickup time, set it out and leave some way for them to leave money, like a box on the porch. Or you can meet up, which a lot of people are still doing because it is a one on one and you can make the transaction with a mask and move on quickly. 

I have not sold anything since this started, just to keep contact down with people, in order to protect my mom (lot of good that did! LOL). My husband has sold a few high dollar items with meet ups though. I really had intended to unload a ton of Temp-tations during Feb and March as tax refunds came in, but before garage sales started (here, once garage sales start, you don't sell stuff for much on marketplace anymore), but when the Covid hit, I got stopped in my tracks. Bummer. 

Good luck selling. I think  you will do well, as you usually do in your community sale. I thing many areas, people are ready to get out and do. I'm watching Ohio take it's first reopening steps and considering relisting my stuff in the weeks to come and see what happens. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Oh my I hope mom is OK.  

My spouse is convinced he had COVID although never confirmed as he was sick with bronchial problems (saw his dr. 3 times) then couldn't breathe on 2/26. Dr. admitted him he had labored breathing, lung infection, "flu" symptoms.  Was hospitalized til 3/5 when I was able to fly home - what a mess!  His pulmonary dr thinks it was possible because it was not known until March 10 and he was sick a few weeks before.  

Thank goodness he's fine and went back to golfing a few weeks ago.

We were fortunate not very many cases in our area.  FL opened today & believe me, the stores (food) were busier than I've seen in a month.  

Thank you I just have so many and haven't used them.  Some are still in boxes🙄.  I certainly was surprised how many I have & don't use!!   

The "pandemic" made me see how much home decor, kitchen, etc. I have🤷‍♀️

I have bought nothing lately and hopefully putting them on Facebook or NextDoor they will sell 🤞🏻.  If not, I'll just wait til next year.

Thanks again!  Stay safe & healthy ....I hope your state opens soon.  My family is in NJ/PA no ending in sight☹️☹️☹️