Valued Contributor

Question about wattage of bulbs to use in new lamp

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but I'm really confused about it. I need to get a new table lamp, and the one I'm looking at says it takes a "maximum compatible wattage" of 60 watts. What does this mean exactly? I understand that, as far as incandescent bulbs are concerned, one would not go past 60 watts. But what about LED bulbs? For instance, would it be OK to use an LED bulb that is equivalent to 100 watts but actually uses way less than 60 watts? Or would I need to use an LED bulb that does not go past an equivalency of 60 watts, even though the actual watts used would be probably, only about 9? As I stated, I really don't understand how this all works. Would greatly appreciate help (don't want to use the wrong thing and cause a fire!) Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about wattage of bulbs to use in new lamp

Since LED bulbs do not throw heat, I don't see what matter it makes....

You can purchase "lamp socket converters" if you want to switch from regular to candelabra, or vice versa.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Google "watts" to "led"  bulb conversion charts

Esteemed Contributor

I have a similar question?

I bought DS a lamp for his desk space. Has a 3 way lamp socket but says "max 60 watts". He tried a traditional 3 way incandescent bulb. It turned out to be too large for the harp. 🙄

Anybody have a simple explaination of this new bulb stuff? Not everything is LED.

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but I'm really confused about it. I need to get a new table lamp, and the one I'm looking at says it takes a "maximum compatible wattage" of 60 watts. What does this mean exactly? I understand that, as far as incandescent bulbs are concerned, one would not go past 60 watts. But what about LED bulbs? For instance, would it be OK to use an LED bulb that is equivalent to 100 watts but actually uses way less than 60 watts? Or would I need to use an LED bulb that does not go past an equivalency of 60 watts, even though the actual watts used would be probably, only about 9? As I stated, I really don't understand how this all works. Would greatly appreciate help (don't want to use the wrong thing and cause a fire!) Thanks.

Yes, you can use an LED bulb that actually uses less than 60 watts. If you want your table lamp to have a brighter bulb, you can use an LED bulb with more lumens.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/lumens-and-lighting-facts-label

Valued Contributor

@Caffeina --I've been trying to do more research about this since I posted, and if I'm understanding things correctly, sounds like I don't really have to worry about what an LED bulb is equivalent to (in this case, whether it's 60, 75, 100, etc.), but just the actual wattage being used.And, of course, the lumens. I believe that's what you're telling me, right? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper 

That's correct. Wattage is actually a measurement of energy, and lumens are a measurement of brightness. Many of us are used to choosing bulbs by wattage, and most household bulbs of the same wattage were about the same brightness. But the actual brightness could vary between brands and bulb types.

Since the new changes, the packaging on LED bulbs gives us the equivalents to the old bulbs, but one day that information will probably be gone. Many younger people only know of LED bulbs, so they know to choose by lumens.

LED bulbs also come in choices such as soft white, warm white, and daylight. They would be chosen based on personal preference, or a "rule" one might feel they should follow.