Super Contributor

Question about vinyl plank flooring

My cat has quite successfully (in her opinion) destroyed much of the carpet on my stairs and upstairs loft area with her claws.  She wont use a scratching post and the area is too large to use deterrents like double stick tape, foil or a spray.  I need to replace the carpet.  Does anyone know if a cat's claw can scratch, sink into or otherwise damage a vinyl plank floor?  I have tile downstairs but I would not be able to match it and the cost difference due to need for an additional subfloor are too great.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about vinyl plank flooring

I found this info online:    Luxury vinyl flooring is a great choice if you have pets. It can mimic the look of natural stone tile or hardwood but is much easier on your pets (and your budget).
Luxury vinyl comes in several forms: luxury vinyl planks (LVP) and luxury vinyl tile (LVT).
LVP and LVT work well with pets for many reasons. Luxury vinyl is very durable.

If you use a good quality product and install it correctly, it can withstand many of the challenges that come along with pets. And it won’t scratch or tear.
It holds up well against accidents and food or water bowl spills. Most luxury vinyl is water resistant and some varieties are even waterproof.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog  I'm having the exact problem you are with my kitties.  I'm interested in seeing the responses.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

Sorry, my screen keeps popping off and on.   I tried to say that I don't worry about my dog's claws but cat claws are so sharp.  Cats try to sink their claws into things.  Perhaps I should buy a couple of pieces, place them in her favorite area and see what happens.

Respected Contributor

I've had vinyl plank flooring for about a year and a half. I've not noticed any damage from claws at all and my young kitty, Stormy, peels out alot. I have 3 altogether. I have a medium brown color flooring and have to say it does show the cat hair, but it's so much better than carpet. I have it in my kitchen, dining room, livingroom, powder room closet and small pantry closet. I like it. I use a Don Aslett micro fiber mop and wet the cloth and then spray water on the floor as I go along. It's terrific for when they get sick, just wipe it up and clean up with a wet paper towel. No stained carpeting. Wish I had the $$$ to do more.

Valued Contributor

We have LVP in a walnut wood tone design in the whole first floor of our condo.  I really like it, especially where we feed the 2 kitties, as we can leave the bits that fall around and then vac them up with the Roomba when dry.  DH just purchased a Bissel Crossways with a coupon and a sale.  This works fantastically as it first is a vac and then a mop with the tough of a button. 

Roombas may be taking a long nap!!

Super Contributor

Catter,  has your kitty tried to use it like a scratching post?  You know, where she tries to sink her claws in and stretches?  I would be interested to know.

Frequent Contributor

We've had LVP since 2017 and love it. We have 3 dogs and have had no problems at all. They are easy to maintain and look really nice. Hope this helps,

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog  Personally, I would call a floor store and ask them about the cat's claws and flooring.  Ask them what else would work that is reasonably priced.  

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

KatCat1,  I dont know if I would trust a flooring store to be truthful.  Yes, I am probably cynical.  I will try to purchase a few planks in the next few days, then let my cat try to damage it.  I will report back!