Honored Contributor

Re: Question about using my new electric glass cooktop stove

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 4.21.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 4.21.39 PM.png

I found this info when I was researching a new stovetop last year.  

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I don't know iif it's a standard feature on glass top ranges, but the one that was in my house had a light on the panel that stayed on after a burner was turned off as long as the burner was still too hot to touch.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting that warning, @house_cat ! Instinctively, I wouldn't put a hot lid on the stove top. But I have slid a boiling tea kettle onto another burner.

Once the water has been poured & emptied, I place the hot tea kettle back on the rear burner, where it usually stays until next use. (Most of the time I boil the water on the front burner.) Should I just keep a pot holder back there for the tea kettle?

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

According to the article I posted, pots and pans don't cause harm to the glass, only the hot lids due to the suction they create.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I saw this question a few hours ago but got waylayed with lunch, a shower and a nap.  I actually went and looked at the top, the right side is fine, those are the burners that rarely get used.  One is the size that would fit a canner.  The left two burners have the suspicious "use" rings, they will never go back to new looking.  You just get in the habit of not dropping or sliding anything.  I've had three glass tops, and the only thing I would recommend is to avoid white or grey tops.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for info about hot pots on cool areas of glass stove top.  Regarding cleaning,_I have used spray bottle with 50/50 vinegar/water for past two years.  Easy cleanup.  Purchased cleaner for special issues.