Honored Contributor

Question about using my new electric glass cooktop stove

We just had our new stove put in yesterday with a glass cooktop.  It will be a learning experience from using only a coil burner my entire life.  I have a question ...( looked on google for answer, but did not find any for my question.)

If I take  a pot off a hot burner because it is starting to boil....and I want it to stop....can I place(set) that pot,while still hot on the bottom, onto one of the other burners that is not turned on? Is that a NO NO?  Where do you put a pot with a hot bottom? With my coil stove top, I could place it onto a cold coil burner no problem.  I am concerned about cracking the glass....confused on what to do.

I noticed this morning heating up my almond milk on the new stove, that it heat up much quicker on the glass top burner than on the old coil burner... maybe I do not need to use the HIGH setting? 

I HATE CHANGE🙁

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about using my new electric glass cooktop stove

[ Edited ]

I put my hot pots anywhere on the glass top. Hot pots/pans won't harm it.

It's resistant to "thermal shock".

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I had a glass cooktop for 15 years and I never had an issue with cracking.

The entire surface is heat resistant so you can place a hot item anywhere on the stovetop.  It is a learning curve but before you know you will master it.  I think they have a nice look to them.  In my townhouse now I am back to a gas stove with the grates and I had to learn again how to use that!  LOL, enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@SeaMaiden I had a glass cooktop for 15 years and I never had an issue with cracking.

The entire surface is heat resistant so you can place a hot item anywhere on the stovetop.  It is a learning curve but before you know you will master it.  I think they have a nice look to them.  In my townhouse now I am back to a gas stove with the grates and I had to learn again how to use that!  LOL, enjoy your Thanksgiving!

@LindaSal  Thank you for commenting....so I can place a pot from a hot burner onto the cool not turned on  burner or on the glass top  in general and the glass will not crack?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Same!  I'm just careful to place down gently.

Yes, @SeaMaiden , you may have to adjust the temp settings a bit from what you are used to.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden Yes you can take a very hot pan or kettle and just move it over to another burner or anywhere on the surface.  

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Same!

Yes, @SeaMaiden , you may have to adjust the temp settings a bit from what you are used to.

@Harpa @LindaSal @SilleeMee  Thankyou! I am a worry wort😄

Trusted Contributor

No matter how tempting it is, never wipe the glasstop down with Windex. Always use the recommended products for cleaning it. 

I only use Weiman products available at most stores, including the scrub pad. For everyday maintenance I use a wet microfiber cloth then wipe dry with a dish towel.  I use the Weiman spray cleaner for touchups if needed and the Weiman polish for a good clean and condition.

Some tips from Good Housekeeping

Weiman Ceramic and Glass Cooktop Cleaner - 10 Ounce - Stove Top Daily Cleaner Kit - 12 Ounce - Glass Ceramic Induction Cooktop Cleaning Bundle for Heavy Duty Mess Cleans Burnt-on Food

Honored Contributor

You can put a hot pot anywhere on the cooktop.

Please wait until the cooktop has cooled completely before attempting to clean it.  It's very temping to want to clean it while it's hot/warm.  

Frequent Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

We just had our new stove put in yesterday with a glass cooktop.  It will be a learning experience from using only a coil burner my entire life.  I have a question ...( looked on google for answer, but did not find any for my question.)

If I take  a pot off a hot burner because it is starting to boil....and I want it to stop....can I place(set) that pot,while still hot on the bottom, onto one of the other burners that is not turned on? Is that a NO NO?  Where do you put a pot with a hot bottom? With my coil stove top, I could place it onto a cold coil burner no problem.  I am concerned about cracking the glass....confused on what to do.

I noticed this morning heating up my almond milk on the new stove, that it heat up much quicker on the glass top burner than on the old coil burner... maybe I do not need to use the HIGH setting? 

I HATE CHANGE🙁

You will find these glass top stove burners seem to be hotter than the coils.  I go down in heat from what I used to use.  I love the glass top now (and I hate change too), so EASY to clean and sleek looking.