Valued Contributor

Question about picture hanging wire

Since I have never hung a picture in my life, I've never used picture hanging wire, so know nothing about it. I am wanting to use it to hang a wall clock (only weighs about 1.5 pounds). Would appreciate knowing if this comes in different gauges (if so, then which gauge should I get) and in different colors.

You may be wondering why I wouldn't just use the keyhole on the back of the clock to hang it. Well, to place the new clock on the same screw where the previous clock was mounted would mean the top of the clock would run into another item that is mounted above (the keyhole on the old clock was much closer to the top edge of the clock than this one is). I would then have to move that item, and I don't want to do that. This clock has a filigree frame, and I thought I could perhaps attach a wire around parts of the filigree and hang it, basically, in the same area the old clock covered without having to use the existing screw that's in the wall. Thanks for any advice on the wire.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about picture hanging wire

I have hung a fair number of pictures in my time and was never aware that there might be different "gauges" of wire.  I just buy picture hanging wire.  For something so light I don't think it matters.  And I'm unaware that they might come in colors.  Just basic silver metal color.

If you can fill in the hole where the clock is currently, can you lower the clock and just use the keyhole on the back??

Esteemed Contributor

Keyhole is much safer - sturdy especially for a clock.  I would lower clock - wire can be very iffy.

Esteemed Contributor

Please use the hanger on the back of the clock. Using picture wire on the filagree is asking for trouble. I don't know how the clock is made (wood, plastic, composite), but filagree is not meant to be used as a hanging device and could break. Additionally, the wire would show on the front of the clocks' filagree.

Remove the screw, repair the hole and move the screw to the correct height you need. It will be a secure and safe way to hang your new clock.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Regular Contributor

I take all my wall frames to Hobby Lobby for the wire fitting ,they charge $2.50  . They do an excellant job  and the price is beyond words .  

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper There are different gauges of wire but for that weight the lowest gauges should work. While I understand not wanting to move existing screws, surely you don't want the picture wire to show... If the clock will too closely abut another hanging item, then the only way not to have that happen using picture wire would seem to be for the wire to hang a bit above the clock, which means it would show up and picture wire is not particularly attractive. Given the light weight of the clock, you might want to consider one of the peel off hooks used for hanging lighter weight items. I'd also note, that even if the clock is light weight, hanging wire directly on decorative filigree might result in it breaking over the long haul. Realizing you don't want to do it, the best bet is to change the location of the screw and then use it in the keyhole designed for hanging the clock.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I've always used Command Picture Hanging Strips.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for answering. I would so prefer to just move the decorative item that's above where the clock would be up higher so that I could just use the keyhole on the back of the clock, but I'm afraid to do that. This house is my parents' and I don't know what the wall is made from. I asked a relative of mine about the possibility of repositioning the decorative item so that the clock's keyhole could be used, but he was afraid that, if the wall was plaster, I could end up with a big hole. I just don't know about these things. Some of you mentioned command strips. I'll have to see if I could maybe use that to rehang the item. If I can, then I could hang the clock normally. I would just forget about putting anything up, but the old clock left a nice, big black circle on the wallpaper that won't come off.